skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Betty Crocker Cake Mix Shrinking - Watch Out!!! NOT Single layer mix!! FYI!
cutedoggie 08/25/2011 9:16 AM
Last night my bro and I went to Walmart to purchase 2 boxes of cake mix. They were out of the DH brand we were looking for so we bought the BC brand. I picked up a box and my bro grabbed a box thinking nothing of it.......... until we go home and I unpacked the groceries and lo and behold two different sizes @ THE SAME PRICE for Butter Recipe Yellow per the store receipt.

One was the regular size - 18.25 oz and the second one was 15.25 oz. Same box packaging just one is slightly smaller in size AND NO, it is not the 1 layer size.

The larger box uses 1 1/4 cup of water, 1 stick of butter, and 3 eggs. Cook two 8" layers 33 - 38 minutes.

The smaller box uses 1 cup of water, 1/3 stick of butter, and 3 eggs. Cook two 8" layers 25 - 30 minutes.

Watch out when purchasing your cake mixes and compare the boxes for apples to apples.

What is so disgusting is they are priced the same!!!!!

I'll try to call BC later but am swamped today so if anyone gets a chance to call go ahead and give us the details.
Chasey 08/25/2011 9:46 AM
Ahh, yes, this news has been on cakecentral for a few weeks now. SO aggravating, isn't it?

Same thing Breyer's ice cream did...package it the same way as the 1/2 gallon size it's always been, but if you read the weight--it's now less. Same price, of course.

I think a BC rep confirmed this was a permanent change. Don't quote me on that, but I do believe I read that on CC.

That stinks the consumer has to pick up the tab for the vendor's sake!
whoknew? 08/25/2011 10:17 AM
Son of a beancounter! Thanks for the heads up, Cutedoggie. If BC said this is a permanent change, every other mfgr will follow suit, just like ice cream and all the other packaging that reduces size so they don't have to raise prices and scare off the consumer. aaaaagh.
Spooky_789 08/25/2011 2:36 PM
It's a sign of the times, unfortunately. They will not be the only manufacturer to do this. Regardless of the product, you will either end up paying more for the same amount, or getting less product and paying the same amount, in essence, paying more per unit. It sucks. But, you just need to pay attention so that you know what you are getting.
CollectorEJ 08/25/2011 4:16 PM
I would rather pay more than have the volume reduced in my food products. Prices are going to go higher that's a given (I just wish the farmers would get more of our food dollars). Have you checked your bathroom tissue paper lately? It's smaller.
sweetgrandma 08/25/2011 8:47 PM
So that means we're going to have to refigure our cake sizes??? I'd prefer an increase in price too!
Spooky_789 08/25/2011 9:44 PM
I know! For those of us who doctor our cake mixes, in order to get the same amount as we were before, we are going to need to increase the flour/sugar/sour cream/oil/water, etc. Crap. Who wants to hurry up and figure this out for me? lol
Spooky_789 08/25/2011 9:45 PM
Oh, by the way, my local King Soopers (Kroger) grocer store, which normally sells the Betty Crocker cake mixes for $1.99 - $2.49, just had them on sale for $1.49 less $0.50 if you bought 10. So I did. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the boxes I just bought were the smaller sizes.
becamico 08/25/2011 11:32 PM
UGH I hope DH doesn't follow suit! That's exactly what I was thinking, sweetG!
Spooky_789 08/26/2011 8:28 AM
I just posted my modifications and results of the new smaller size over in the recipe section if you want to check it out. Sorry I didn't include link. Am late getting ready for work!
cutedoggie 08/27/2011 1:24 AM
I called BC and sure enough they decided to make the mix smaller ......... but "not by much" said the customer service woman. Well, I told her a thing or two and she took notes and said she is going to pass them along to the product team.

She said they wanted to avoid raising prices. HUH, Walmart has raised BC from 95 cents to $1.14 already and now they want to give you less.

She also said ......... ummmm she "baked the old and new side by side and you can tell the difference." How in the world is that the truth? The difference in the "liquid" amount is 1/2 a cup so that is going to bake about 10% less easily.

Well, I said they can forget me as a customer! I am done with them!

OH, the product development team did something to the mix to make less come out to be the same! WTH did they add to it??? Cake bubbles to make it look like a gopher maze?

Unbelievable!

Here is the BC contact info page!

Betty Crocker
almont 08/27/2011 11:45 AM
Hi, This is a shame, I use Pillsbury cake mix. It is very good tasting and is still the 18.25 oz. package. Maybe if we all started switching to Pillsbury, Betty Crocker might go back to the old weight
saradars 08/27/2011 3:47 PM
SOOO disappointed in Betty. So disappointed. I sent them an email. I hope to hear back. Or maybe I don't.....

Shame on you, Betty!

cutedoggie 08/28/2011 1:47 PM
AMEN! They have my feedback and so does Walmart at raising the prices and now getting less cake mix. There are industry standards that are out there on the sizes of the boxes. Now nothing is consistent any more.
Bake_N_Cake 08/28/2011 8:30 PM
Thanks for the info! BC is on my do not buy list!
whoknew? 08/28/2011 9:44 PM
Thank you SO much for providing the "complaint" link to contact Betty Crocker. After seeing what happened with ice cream, I suggest we ALL immediately contact Duncan Hines and Pillsbury and STRONGLY suggest they do NOT do the same thing. I doubt it will help, but we can try.

Here's what I wrote to Betty Crocker:

I am an avid blogger and avid cake decorator. Shame on you for making your cake mixes smaller. Did you think we wouldn't notice?

There are quite a few forums and blogs running right now with photos of your "old" 18.25 box and your sneaky, underhanded, "cheat" box, 15.25.

My family and I have been purchasing your mixes for 40 years, UNTIL NOW. This is not a good decision. Very unhappy, and VERY VOCAL BLOGGING consumer here.
whoknew? 08/28/2011 9:55 PM
Me again. I just sent an email to Wilton as well. Here's a copy of that:

"Hello Wilton. I am an avid member of the Wilton forum and strongly support the Wilton Method classes.

Recently, Betty Crocker has changed their basic cake mix from 18.25 oz. to 15.25 oz.

Here are some current threads on your forum about this topic:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=155243&STARTPAGE=1&CFID=211196639&CFTOKEN=13330610

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=155274

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=155328

Since you have a business relationship with Duncan Hines (my preferred cake mix!), would you, please, IMMEDIATELY, contact them and express our concerns? Your name is ON their box, I hope you can do something to convince them to retain the 18.25 size box. "
Baker_Rose 08/30/2011 6:15 PM
I was in my local market this past weekend and they still had the 18 ounce boxes, today I was in my local Wal-Mart and they had BOTH, many flavors, some side by side, small and large boxes. I'm in Western Pa., so if you want to stock up, maybe some stores have the old ones yet.

Tami
whoknew? 08/30/2011 8:24 PM
Here's the response from Betty Crocker (see my email to them above in this thread):

Thank you for contacting General Mills regarding our Betty Crocker SuperMoist cake mixes. I am sorry to hear for your disappointment. Your comment is very important to us and will be shared to the product team.

We are committed to making a difference in the lives of our consumers. Feedback such as yours is important to the nature of our business.

Consumer appeal and product re-alignment within a product category are some of the reasons this is done to our product packaging. This change helps us keep our cake affordable while maintaining the great taste of Betty Crocker cake mixes that consumers love. No ingredients have been added or removed in the formulation of the dry mix. Only the amount or weight of some of the ingredients already in the dry mix has been changed. This innovation bakes virtually the same size cake in the same 9x13 pan, while continuing to deliver great taste, high quality, and real value.

We appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to contact us. Again, please be assured that we will share your thoughts with the appropriate individuals.

Sincerely, Imee B. Roberts, Consumer Services

Chasey 08/31/2011 7:11 AM
"I am sorry to hear for your disappointment" and "will be shared to the product team" made me think your comment went to an overseas customer service department. The English sounds very familiar when phrased that way.

Of course it's "virtually" the same in a 9 x 13. But the point is...it's NOT the same! I bet BC was expecting consumers to appreciate that they didn't raise their mix prices. I suppose the emails from bakers everywhere will tell them what they really think.