skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How do the Wilton Peanut Butter candy melts taste?
Created On Monday July 18, 2011 10:05 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 10:05 AM

Do you like them?

Have you tried swirling the PB ones and white chocolate together in a candy mold?

What about the dark chocolate mint ones?

I haven't tried either and just curious if they are tastier (to me ) than the regular milk chocolate melts.

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 10:08 AM

I have tried the PB melts and they taste pretty good. In fact, they taste more like PB than the chocolate melts taste like chocolate. BUT, we all have different taste buds!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 10:20 AM

Sounds like you agree with my taste buds then because as a chocolate lover, those didn't taste too great to me. They are ok, but not like "real" chocolate.

I just remembered I have tried the dark cocoa ones, actually, not the regular. Wonder if mint makes it better?

I hear Merckens brand is tastier, but I need to be able to use my 50% off coupons to buy several different bags!

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 11:03 AM

For baking I use cocoa powder to get the chocolate. Also I use cocoa for icing. I love my chocolate!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday July 19, 2011 10:26 AM

I went to Michael's yesterday and picked up Wilton's Preminum dark chocolate candy melts. They are ok, but not really worth the extra money in my opinion. I think the white chocolate ones are fine, wonder if the Premium white chocolate tastes that much better for $4.29 a bag?

I think I am going to have to dress up these chocolates with some candy bar mix ins perhaps.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 1:30 PM

The peanut butter melts are tasty! I used the dark chocolate in the mold, placed a glob of peanut butter on that, swirled with a skewer, dropped Heath bits over the surface and then wiggled and tapped the mold on the counter. Into the freezer for 15 minutes and out pops the candy easily onto wax paper. I used cotton gloves to handle them.

Voila...VERY tasty molded chocolates! The peanut butter ones certainly enhance the taste of the Wilton chocolate.

White chocolate mixed with Heath is yummy, too! And so is white chocolate with peanut butter. And white chocolate with dark chocolate.

Report Violation

Bottom

muppetmama
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 8:30 PM

Just be careful with the peanut butter wafers, they scorch easily.

Report Violation

Bottom

HeyWife
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 11:41 PM

I like the PB melts. I made modeling chocolate with them and also made chocolate cake balls with PB mixed in instead of icing and dipped them in the PB melts. YUM!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday July 26, 2011 7:10 AM

I used a double boiler method on all 3 types of the candy melts with great success!

I have a gas range. I placed 3 metal bowls on top of a few inches of water in 3 different pots. The bowls formed a pretty good seal around the top of the pots. Once the water simmered, all I had to do was stir, stir stir and the candy melted SO easily. The peanut butter ones especially! The premium dark chocolate ones took the longest to melt and I actually had to add about a tsp of crisco to that one to get it smooth.

I've scorched candy melts in the microwave and also had it look like seized chocolate (although there was no water in the microwave.) That method doesn't work for me!

After the candy was melted, I turned off the burners and covered the pots with clean tea towels while the mold was in the freezer. I was able to refill the mold a couple of times without turning the burners back on. The metal bowls really held the heat well!

heywife, that sounds yummy.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: