skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 16x6 pan?
Created On Sunday May 29, 2011 11:21 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bviannie
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 11:21 AM

I'd like to make my grandma's coffee cake recipe but it calls for a 16"L x 6"W x 5" (6"?)H loaf pan. She thought she got it in the early '70s. I've been unable to find this size pan & while she's said it HAS to be in that size pan, I'm wondering if I could use a bundt pan instead. I did see Wilton has a slightly smaller loaf pan (16x4), which may also work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for adapting baking time/temperature if I try Bundt pan or other smaller loaf pan? Recipe is kind of a basic streusel coffee cake one - uses a cake mix, instant pudding & has streusel layer slightly marbled in middle (which cannot touch the sides of the cake pan). It bakes at 350 for 50-60 min.

Any help would be appreciated! I've had to wait many years before she would "give up" her recipe & would love to make it this summer as a surprise!

Thanks!
Annie

Report Violation

Bottom

mari123
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 7:01 PM

I normally make cream cheese pound and chocolate pound cakes for all decorated cakes, unless customer requests cake mix, or other recipe. I bake use these recipes (without changing ingredients) in any shape and size needed. From cupcakes to largest tiers that will fit into my oven. That is not to say that your grandmother's recipe will bake in anything, but worth a try. A word of caution -- be careful how you handle sharing a change in baking pan size with your grandmother.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bake_N_Cake
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 7:28 PM

You want a Pullman Bread Pan. You would not use the lid of it to bake your goodie! There are some on eBay without the lids and ones with holes in the pan. Do NOT get those. Make sure you get the lid as it makes wonderful bread for really symmetrical sandwiches and party bread.

Check out William Sonoma to see what one should look like. Their pan is shorter but you can get the longer ones.

The pan is a European bread pan!

Report Violation

Bottom

mari123
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 7:35 PM

I forgot to mention temperature and time. Temperature is same. Cooking time is different. One recipe bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes in bundt; for sheet cake I set time for 50 minutes and check to see if done. Cupcake size 30 minutes. When baking a pound cake the oven should not be opened during the first half of the baking time. I make two recipes almost everytime I make a cake -- it makes two bundt style cakes and a small loaf cake or a small cake in a corningware (20 ounce size) casserole. At 45 minutes I check cakes and usually the small loaf/casserole is done. I make two recipes because always have a cake in freezer or use for family or to take to a friend.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bobbi
Posted: Monday May 30, 2011 6:03 PM

I use the Wilton long loaf pan. There was a recipe during the 70's called "That Cake". The cake was baked in a long loaf pan. I don't know if that is the recipe that you have. The recipe I am referring to came from Mail Box News.(Maid of Scandinavia)

Report Violation

Bottom

bviannie
Posted: Wednesday June 01, 2011 11:33 AM

Thank you, everyone! I'm going to give it a try in the Bundt pan this weekend. I did see that Amazon has the Wilton 16x4 pan available, as well as some Pullman bread pans, so that may be my plan B. I appreciated your suggestions & will let you know what happens!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: