skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Sugar Sheets - about to try them
Created On Saturday May 14, 2011 6:22 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 6:22 PM
View users profile

I bought a purple sugar sheet. I didn't buy any of the cutters as I plan to free-hand zebra stripes. My best friend asked me to make a 9" round cake for her daughter's birthday. She (the daughter) wants the cake to be purple, white frosting, with purple zebra stripes. Since I'm pretty darned new to cake decorating, I'm not even going to try fondant yet. So when I saw these at Hobby Lobby, I thought that might be a great way to cut out the stripes.

Have you used these yet? Any tips for free forming shapes?

Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIEJ
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 7:47 PM

I have used them !!

I think for what you have in mind, you should find them fairly easy to use !! I would suggest cutting the sheet before you take it off the backing paper though + it would be a whole lot easier for you !!

I would also suggest to put it onto the buttercream while it is still a little 'sticky', ie hasn't fully crusted !!

Good luck, can't wait to see a picture of it !!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 8:35 PM
View users profile

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to leave the backing on when cutting them. Do you think using scissors would be fine or should I get an exacto knife?

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 8:54 AM
View users profile

Let us know how much you like them/dislike them? Are they better/not as good as using Fondant?

Give us as much feedback as you can. Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

Ccarredia
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 8:50 PM

This is my first try with sugar sheets. I measured and cut them while on the backing. It easier to use a stiffer paper for your pattern and cut around it. I found that a little dab of buttercream or water on a brush helps seal seems--but be careful as some of the color may run or get on your fingers as you work so it could smear a bit. Adding embellishments was easiest with a thin line of buttercream before adhering to the surface. Don't pull the sheets too tightly around your cake since they will tear as it settles ovr time.
I like this flexibility and the taste was okay too. It is a nice and speedy alternative to fondant.

PUrse Cake8.jpg PUrse Cake8.jpg  (70 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday May 17, 2011 7:51 AM
View users profile

Ccarredia, very nice indeed! Your purse cake looks fantastic. You did a great job. How long did it take you to do it with the Sugar Sheets as compared to the Fondant?

Do you get your monies worth for 1 sheet for 4.00? How likely are you to buy more of these sheets?

Thanks for all the info too.

Ladycat

Report Violation

Bottom

Ccarredia
Posted: Tuesday May 17, 2011 8:21 AM

This seemed much faster than working with the fondant. Fondant might be a bit more flexible around curves though--but with patience it worked well. I only had to open package, cut to pattern,
peel off the sheet and place on the buttercream base. Once the cake was frosted it took at most, an hour and a half to complete.
This cake, based on 8" rounds, took almost two sheets, $8--but at Michael's I had my 40% off one item coupon--I bought over two weeks-used two coupons--saved $1.59 on each. Yes, I found it to be worthwhile.
I will buy more --hopefully more patterns will be released, but I will try the solid colors too!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday May 17, 2011 9:00 AM

Wonderful cake! Great news about using the sheets too! Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday May 17, 2011 12:01 PM
View users profile

Super looking cake..glad you had success with the new sheets, may pick up some tomorrow for a shower cake..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 1:06 AM
View users profile

Tonight I used the sugar sheets. They were surprisingly easy to use. I measured out how long I wanted my zebra stripes to be, then free hand cut the strips out off the sheet. I used approximately 2/3 of one sheet for this 9" round, 4" high buttercream covered cake.

I used tip 789 to coat the cake in Bunnywoman's buttercream frosting, waited for it to crust slightly, then used the viva papertowel method to smooth it out. I then immediately applied the sugar sheet strips to the cake, using a food safe brush to help smooth on the strips. Once applied, I piped dots around the bottom (tip 12) and then the top (tip 10), then wrote in the birthday message (tip 2).

This is only the sixth cake I've decorated so far. I got to say, this is the most professional looking cake I've done to date, with obvious room for improvement.

Thanks for looking and good luck with the sheets. I did taste a small piece, and itself really has no taste. I'd be curious to see what it tastes like once it has been on the buttercream for a while.

Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (4).JPG Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (4).JPG  (94 KB)
Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (5).JPG Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (5).JPG  (87 KB)
Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (8).JPG Purple zebra stripes pink dots birthday cake (8).JPG  (92 KB)
Purple zebra stripes pink dots side view.JPG Purple zebra stripes pink dots side view.JPG  (75 KB)
Purple zebra stripes.JPG Purple zebra stripes.JPG  (66 KB)
Side view - purple sugar sheet - zebra stripes.JPG Side view - purple sugar sheet - zebra stripes.JPG  (83 KB)
Top view purple sugar sheets - zebra stripes.JPG Top view purple sugar sheets - zebra stripes.JPG  (75 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

spotsmom
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 12:13 PM
View users profile

Sppoky789 & Ccarredia - Your cakes look Awesome!! I have a Zebra/Hot Pink Birthday cake to do this weekend and I was alittle afraid of it because I have not worked much with Fondant. After seeing your cakes, I am thinking about asking my friend if we can try these Sugar Sheets instead of Fondant. What do the Sugar sheets taste like? Were do you find this Crusting Buttercream Recipe. I have read alot about it and would really like to try it.

Report Violation

Bottom

spotsmom
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 12:14 PM
View users profile

Oh, 1 more question. Can the Sugar Sheets be refrigerated?

Report Violation

Bottom

sbrisbois2
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:14 PM

How much does each sugar sheet sell for in the US/ Regular price, no sales. Thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:17 PM
View users profile

$4.00 per sheet! Right now at Michaels you can get them for buy 2 get one free.

Report Violation

Bottom

sbrisbois2
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:20 PM

What a difference a border makes. They sell for $9.95 each in Canada

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:49 PM
View users profile

Per sheet?

Report Violation

Bottom

sbrisbois2
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:56 PM

Yes, then there is the 40% off coupon. Not very affordable.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 10:17 PM
View users profile

To me, the sheets didn't have much of a taste. I haven't tried them once they were on the buttercream. I used Bunnywoman's buttercream recipe for the cake I posted pictures of. Since I was using scissors to cut them out, they were very easy to work with.

You do NOT need to refrigerate the sheets once you open the package. Just put the unused sheet back in the package, seal it well, and put it somewhere you won't smash it on accident (to prevent tears or kinks).

Report Violation

Bottom

spotsmom
Posted: Wednesday May 25, 2011 9:38 AM
View users profile

I was just wondering if you can refrigerate your cake after you apply the Sugar Sheet decorations. I have been told that Fondant cannot be refrigerated because it will get gooey. Does refrigeration have the same effect on the Sugar Sheets as it does with Fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday May 25, 2011 11:59 AM
View users profile

I think you would be fine for 2-3 days after decorating, but if they are similar to frosting sheets then they will probably melt into the buttercream or the fondant after several days.

Opinion only! Not sure!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: