skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Large sheets of fondant... HELP!
Created On Friday April 15, 2011 6:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

rockerweenie
Posted: Friday April 15, 2011 6:25 PM

How do you roll out large sheets of fondant? I need a 20X20 square piece to cover a cake and I roll and roll and its getting longer but no matter how many times I'm turning this piece of fondant and rolling in every direction, it just isn't going anywhere!

I have the 20" wilton roller for fondant, I know--pushing it with the size. Should I just wrap the sides with a long piece and then make a top? (It is a gift box, after all)

I'm starting to get worried! The cake is for tomorrow and this fondant is driving me nuts. Help!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Friday April 15, 2011 11:15 PM
View users profile

You must not have enough fondant. If you need 20X20, I'm guessing this is a 12" square which according the Wilton's fondant chart needs 4.5lbs of fondant. The size of your rolling pin has nothing to do with how large you can roll out your fondant. It's how much fondant you start with which determines how much you will be able to roll out. I've rolled up to 26" just fine...just takes a while.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday April 16, 2011 7:42 AM
View users profile

I suspect you need more fondant too. I've done up to 24" with my 20" pin so it can be done. But it takes more fondant than you think it does. From the very beginning when you're rolling it, turn 1/4 turn every couple of rolls. Every now and then, just do a 1/8 turn so you don't end up with a cross shaped piece of fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

rockerweenie
Posted: Saturday April 16, 2011 9:08 AM

Amazing... That's a lot of fondant. I was definately not using enough, then. It turned out ok, I "wrapped" it around and then put a piece for the top and it looked like a box lid.. not what I wanted but they were happy with it.

Heres a question... how do you put fondant on a square cake? Those corners killed me last night! I was able to camoflauge them a bit but wow, didn't realize a square cake would be so difficult compared to a round. (corners were an issue when I did the "box top" piece of fondant.) I know not using enough fondant probably plays a part.

By the way--where can I find this chart with amounds of fondant for cake size?

Thanks for the help.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday April 16, 2011 9:37 AM
View users profile

Here is a link to the fondant amounts for various cake sizes:
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

When you're putting fondant on a square cake do the corners first. There are some very helpful videos on youtube to take you throught the process. I'd get you a link but I'm at work and youtube is filtered out, so you'll have to check it out on your own.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday April 16, 2011 8:38 PM

rocker, here is a wonderful video by Sweetwise on how to do fondant on square cakes (ALL of her videos are fabulous!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5yrYZgIXr8&feature=relmfu

I was going to suggest more fondant as well. It is truly amazing HOW MUCH you need for a large cake! You can't use your weenie Wilton mat for a 20x20 piece of fondant or larger. I find that I need to make my fondant about 4-6" bigger all round than the size actually needed for the cake. (I've only done about 10 fondant cakes so far.)

The video above actually mentions a product called The Mat. I've purchased one but haven't used it yet. Here's a Wilton thread about The Mat:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=147410&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Here's a link to my Humongous Killer 18" rolling pin that helps me roll out fondant for large cakes:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=18%22+aluminum+rolling+pin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15567823868521729125&sa=X&ei=vkOqTfmQOMnogQes8_zzBQ&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAg#

I've only used it 3 times, but it was worth every penny just for those 3 cakes. It's also great for burglars.

Report Violation

Bottom

rockerweenie
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 11:38 AM

Whoa... So technically for the cake I made, I needed at least 6lbs of fondant. I used about 4lbs. Thank you for the links, they will go into my cake folder for future reference.

That rolling pin is great. Your comment about burglars cracked me up! Caught me off guard there. :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 12:16 PM

rockerweenie, when I got the rolling pin, it came in a 4' long box and I'm thinking "what have they sent me by mistake"? My family (niece & kids) was here when I opened it and we all laughed when we saw it--there were a LOT of jokes flying around.

My San Diego Cake Club just had a show and the guest of honor was Mike Elder, of Black Sheep Custom Cakes (FAMOUS, FABULOUS!). He used pre-made 1/2 sheet cakes, commercial buttercream and Fondx and made this Ronald McDonald shoe for the opening ceremonies demonstration. He did it all in ONE HOUR and talked and joked at the same time!!!!! It was amazing!!! Here's a picture:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/San-Diego-Cake-Club/115558991792664#!/photo.php?fbid=207775319237697&set=pu.115558991792664&type=1&theater

Mike actually used a regular rolling pin (not a huge one like mine, but I did see an 18" in the supplies if any of the demonstrators wanted to use it) and rolled out 10 lbs. of white fondant for the red, then airbrushed it. He used another 3-4 lbs. for the trims (heel, sole, etc.).

Report Violation

Bottom

HeyWife
Posted: Monday April 18, 2011 12:05 PM

I love my Mat from Sweetwise!! Makes life so much easier, especially for rolling large pieces of fondant

Report Violation

Bottom

Sassysouth
Posted: Tuesday April 19, 2011 10:19 PM

I am guessing SI fondant can be tinted with the Wilton coloring?

Does the fondant work well for cut out designs? Or would SI gum paste be better and how's the taste?

Report Violation

Bottom

Sassysouth
Posted: Tuesday April 19, 2011 10:24 PM

I just read where Tylose can be added to fondant for cutouts? Does it change the taste?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday April 19, 2011 10:49 PM
View users profile

I am guessing SI fondant can be tinted with the Wilton coloring? Sure can!

Does the fondant work well for cut out designs? Or would SI gum paste be better and how's the taste? By this I assume you mean the little design you can produce by using cutters? The fondant will work fine for this. You wouldn't have to add tylose or gumpaste I don't think. It might depend on the cut out or design though.

I just read where Tylose can be added to fondant for cutouts? Does it change the taste? As I said above, I don't think you necessarily would have to add tylose. If you do use it, there will be a change in both the texture and taste that you might not find appealing. Fondant tastes better without the addition, imo

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: