skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Does Wilton Cake Release really work?
Created On Sunday April 10, 2011 5:43 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

iheartcruise912
Posted: Sunday April 10, 2011 5:43 PM

I just made a cake that was supposed to be for my class tomorrow. I used Pam thinking it'll work the same as Wilton's Cake Release. Well the cake stuck and took chunks out of the bottom of the cake. So I have to make another cake (good thing I have time to make another one tomorrow). While I'm out getting a mix I could pick up the Cake Release, but I want to make sure it's worth it.

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

soxfan28
Posted: Sunday April 10, 2011 6:10 PM

I'm new to cake making, but I've used it for every cake I've ever made (which is probably 10-15) and I've never had the cake stick to the pan. It's come out of the pan clean every time. I have read on the forums here though that some feel the cake release does make the outside of the cake more brown/crusty on the edges, but that's never been an issue for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

muppetmama
Posted: Sunday April 10, 2011 7:36 PM

Cake release is wonderful! I haven't had any issues with strange crusts either. Baker's Joy works too although I do prefer cake release for everything but bundt pans.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimber300
Posted: Sunday April 10, 2011 10:50 PM
View users profile

I love the cake release and have had no problems so I haven't tried anything else. I now make my own cakes release because it is alot cheaper. It is 1 cup flour, 1 cup veg oil, and 1 cup shortning. Just mix together and store in an airtight container in the cupboard. Works great.

Report Violation

Bottom

ljg
Posted: Sunday April 10, 2011 11:39 PM

I had the same problem with some of my cakes when I was taking one of the Wilton courses except I didn't have time to make another one. I ended up piecing it together with icing - not a fun job. I tried Pam, no name spray and greasing and flouring the pan and finally ended up breaking down and buying some cake release.

Well worth the price - I use it for every cake and haven't had a problem since. I won't make a cake without using cake release. If there's something else on the market that works as well I don't know about it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bake_N_Cake
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 5:55 AM

I use Pam for baking, Cake Release, Baker's Joy, and greasing with shortening and a flour coating. I found that the sprays work just as well as Cake Release BUT the trick is to brush it on thoroughly with a pastry brush after you spray it. I also use a pastry when I grease a pan with shortening along with applying a flour coating. The spray looks like it gets all the areas but use a pastry brush to finish the job. If I think the cae is going to be sticky or it has additives like carrots, chocolate chips, etc., I add a layer of parchment paper to the bottom of the pan. You can also use wax paper.

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 6:34 AM
View users profile

Ditto on kimber300's reply! Cake release works great, but homemade "pan goop" is just as good and a lot cheaper.

Report Violation

Bottom

cq75
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 8:55 AM

I also use homemade pan goop- With the amount of baking I do, it is much cheaper for me to make up. Cake release/pan goop is so easy to use... just brush on and you are ready to go. And no worries about spray going everywhere, or not enough flour coating.

Report Violation

Bottom

sassygrass~sweets
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 9:19 AM

I use a pan spray...Pam...and dust it with Confectioners sugar for white, yellow, light colored flavors....and I dust it with Cocoa powder for chocolate and dark batters!!! It works for me every time!

Report Violation

Bottom

iheartcruise912
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 9:47 AM

My awesome husband went out and got me some Cake Release along with another cake mix... And I came out with a beautiful cake! Thank you Cake Release! It literally slid right out of the pan - awesome!

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 9:59 AM

Cake release is great! I'm not "knocking" the goop, but I prefer the release. I make lots of pound cakes using a bunt pan and I love how the cake looks and releases after using it-I just have to use a brush to make sure I apply it to all the indentions in the pan.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Monday April 11, 2011 1:38 PM

When I used it, it worked fine.

I use Baking spray now.

Easy, Easy, Easy!!!

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 9:37 AM

How do you store the goop after you mix it? so, if you use the goop you just brush it in the pans(sounds pretty easy)

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 11:12 AM

I noticed that someone mentioned storing it in the cupboard. I don't recommend doing that. I always store mine in the fridge and it lasts a long time and is enough for several cakes. After I mix it up, I just put what i need to use in the pans I am baking in, and put the rest in an airtight container in the fridge for the next cakes I decide to bake. I never need parchment.

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Wednesday April 20, 2011 8:10 AM

I love it and use it all the time, every cake. Not once had any problems, well worth the comfort of knowing your cake comes out clean evey time. A must have at my house.lol

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday April 20, 2011 2:17 PM

When you said Pam did you use the baking spray made by Pam? Pam for Baking has flour already in it and it is a one shot wonder. I use it all of the time with absolutely no problems what-so-ever.

There is a huge difference in Pam and Pam for Baking.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

cyndnelson
Posted: Wednesday April 20, 2011 4:36 PM

I have a post called 'I Love Cake Relase!' because it is so awesome. I know a lot of ladies use the Pan Goop, but it doesn't work for me. I'm strickly a Cake Release girl now.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Wednesday April 20, 2011 11:10 PM

I love it. It makes life easier. However, it seems to me that Wilton changed the formula. It seems very gloppy to me lately. You really have to squeeze hard to get it to come out. Anyone else notice that???

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday April 21, 2011 8:53 AM
View users profile

That is what I had thougt at one time but now I give it some real hard shakes and it works fine...and crazy as I am, I also give the pans a spritz of bakers joy for good measure..never had a cake stick yet..
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

SweetCreationsByMisti
Posted: Friday April 22, 2011 10:20 PM

I use homemade Goop as well. I usually make up 1 batch of it at a time. The recipe for 1 batch is:
1 cup veggie oil
1 cup flour
1 cup veggie shortening
mix with my hand mixer and WALL LA

I put my goop in the wilton squirt bottles. This 1 batch will fill up 2 bottles. I used to put it in the mason jars and "dip" my brush in the mason jar, it was soooo messy, my hands had goop all over them. With the Wilton squirt bottles (I think most ppl use these for candy melts), I just squirt the goop where I neeed it, even makes it easier to get the sides of my pans, and then I brush it evenly with my silicone brush. I keep mine in the cupboard. Mine does not have time to go bad. I usually use those two bottles up within 3 to 4 days (I make alot of cakes).

HTH
Misti

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: