skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Do you have a favorite brand of meringue powder?
Created On Saturday December 04, 2010 7:04 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Georgia in MS
Posted: Saturday December 04, 2010 7:04 PM

If it is something other than Wilton, what is it, and why is it your favorite?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 8:34 AM

From what I have used, Wilton is my favorite brand. I used some that I bought in bulk when the store was out if Wilton's and I need some more...big mistake. My icing was gritty and grainy and it totally messed up my RI!

HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 9:13 AM
View users profile

I use Wilton. Several years ago I used something I picked up at the grocery store. I can't tell you the name...I don't remember...but I didn't like it. Since then I make sure that I always have a can of Wilton around.

Report Violation

Bottom

Georgia in MS
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 9:42 AM

This probably was not a good question for a Wilton forum, eh?

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 9:45 AM

I have had students use other brands, but it had the same problems the ladies above have listed !!

I'd say if you see some and want to give it a try, & the price is right, go for it !!

I do this regularly with my buttercream - different powdered sugars, and vegetable fat !! You never know until you give it a go

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 10:24 AM

I have used the Ck Products brand and it worked just fine for me. I have used Wilton's brand too and that yielded nice results too.

Report Violation

Bottom

creative_rb
Posted: Sunday December 05, 2010 4:13 PM

I use one from a local bulk food store without any problem. And its cheeper too!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday December 12, 2010 3:59 PM

Georgia....Wilton doesn't mind those kinds of questions...they're pretty cool!!

I bought a big container of another brand once!! and only once!!! It didn't work nearly as well as the Wilton brand ..........the decorations I made didn't get hard........so from then on I stick to what I know works.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Monday December 13, 2010 4:44 PM

creative_rb, what was the store called? I got mine vat the Bulk Barn in bulk and as I stated above, made my icing gritty/grainy and my RI didn't dry after almost 3 weeks.... Maybe it was a different brand then the one I used...

Report Violation

Bottom

hartleyflats
Posted: Tuesday December 14, 2010 1:26 PM
View users profile

So far I've only used Wilton, but it's so expensive. It's over $8.00 a can for the small can! I found some at the bulk food store, but I have yet to try it. I guess maybe I'll be spending the extra if I get the same results as everyone else

Report Violation

Bottom

kaceesgrandma
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 1:54 PM

I use the Wilton brand, but I wait until I have a 40 or 50% coupon from Michaels or JoAnn's to buy it.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 3:13 PM

Kaceesgrandma, that is smart! I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 9:13 PM

cakecrazy25 - grainy royal icing is probably your sugar and not the meringue powder.

I too generally use Wilton brand of meringue when I make royal icing. Never, and I mean never, add it to my bc icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

momtobe
Posted: Monday December 27, 2010 2:08 PM

Just an FYI,

Michaels and AC Moore take each other's circular coupons. I can't speak for JoAnn's =they moved out of my area.
Also, ACMoore has coupons on their website you can print out (but Michaels won't take coupons from the your printer for a different store). I do not know if Michaels has coupons on their website, I usually go to AC Moore.

I haven't tried any other meringue powder, so I can't give you an opinion about other brands.

Pat

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Monday December 27, 2010 2:33 PM

Mmumsie- hmmm, I never thought of that... I used bulk icing sugar the first time and then the second time I used Redpath brand. I just figured it was my meringue powder so I switched back over to Wilton's and haven't used the bulk meringue powder since!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: