skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Kroger cake mixes
Created On Friday July 16, 2010 1:12 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cattitude
Posted: Friday July 16, 2010 1:12 PM
View users profile

Has anyone tried these and are they good doctored up? The butter cake mix looks really moist on the cover.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Friday July 16, 2010 8:57 PM

I have not tried it but just keep in mind that most of the cakes on the covers of boxes are fake. I prefer Betty Crocker or whatever cake mix is on sale that I trust will be good!

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Friday July 16, 2010 9:30 PM

I tried a few of them several years ago and think Pillsbury was making their store brand cakes and some of the baking supplies. There certainly wasn't a problem with the mixes I tried.

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Friday July 16, 2010 10:24 PM
View users profile

What makes you say they are fake? So are Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines fake as well? Do you have proof?

Report Violation

Bottom

jakecorr
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 8:09 AM

I haven't tried the kroger box cake mixes before, but I say try them and see what you think.

FYI,,,,,,,,my sister is a food photographer. At least 90% of the food pics you use on food packages and in supermarket ads are fake. The real ones tend to be in food magazines. To answer your question is the cake photo on the kroger brand, BC, or DH box cakes fake,,,,,,90% chance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 9:14 AM

I had a friend who was the food photographer for Southern Living. SL had other publications other than magazines and had other magazines such as Coastal Living. They use the real goods in their photos. My friend said the real and fake are up to the photographer usually as they know what type of skills they possess. Besides with photo shop type software out there why bother with fake stuff when you can edit the real stuff and the food looks real and much more appetizing.

Report Violation

Bottom

fairedust
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 9:32 AM

I haven't tried Kroger brand. So far I've only used Duncan Hines and have received many compliments about how moist my cake is. At Kroger, Duncan Hines usually sells for less than $1.50 a box.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 11:19 AM

The reason I use Betty Crocker most of the time is because a lot of people have used it and have proven that you get a good cake when you use it. Same thing with Pillsbury and Duncan Hines. As for it being fake, I was going to say basically what jakecorr and cutedoggie said. You never know what has been photoshoped or what is made out of glue, so I like to stick with the brands that are tried and true.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday August 08, 2012 2:58 PM
View users profile

Bumping this post to see if anyone has LATELY used Kroger cake mixes? (I don't care about the picture and whether it is fake, real or somewhere in between).

I was at the store today and they had the 18.25 oz Kroger brand cake mixes 10 for $10, or $1 each. I picked up 5 white, 1 yellow and 1 devil's food. I've got a WASC cake coming up and I figured after baking a sample cake, if I liked it, I'd have the mixes on hand already. If not, then I can always use them for practice purposes.

Thanks for any input you can provide on the Kroger mixes. No need for discussion about DH, BC or PB.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday August 08, 2012 3:00 PM
View users profile

LOL I just got to looking at the avatars on this thread. Apparently, Dogs rule and Cats drool? lol Just kidding, Cattitude!

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Thursday August 09, 2012 8:17 AM
View users profile

I haven't tried Kroger brand, but I have tried Aldi's mixes recently with great results.

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Thursday August 09, 2012 7:14 PM
View users profile

You can always use one Kroger box and one DH box in the WASC recipe, I've done that if you want to help cut costs some. DH are definitely not still $1.50 at Kroger.

Report Violation

Bottom

jedsmama
Posted: Saturday September 01, 2012 8:34 PM

I use only Kroger brand mixes (I do add yogurt and dry pudding mix to all my cakes) and the results have always been consistent and fabulous! Kroger brand goes on sale in my area about once a month for 10 for $10. Cheap and delious!

Report Violation

Bottom

JoyceD
Posted: Tuesday September 04, 2012 2:04 PM
View users profile

For what its worth, I once worked at a food brokerage house where retailers placed their store orders with us and we filled them by contacting the manufacturers. I learned many of the store brands are actually name brands. Only difference is the packaging.

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Tuesday September 04, 2012 7:16 PM
View users profile

I've used a Kroger mix within the last month- white cake. Did the WASC with it, really rose and was a bit sweeter but the flavor was good and the texture was great. This was an 18 oz mix, too. I've also used the Aldi brand but these just recently changed to the smaller size with pudding in the mix.

Report Violation

Bottom

jedsmama
Posted: Tuesday September 04, 2012 8:29 PM

I have only been seriously doing cakes for the last three years and I have almost exclusively used Kroger brand cake mixes for my chocolate and white cakes. I also add yogurt and dry pudding mix to the batter and have had nothing but fabulous reviews on every cakes I make. I only wish they had more flavors! I always stock up big time when they go on sale in my area (10 for $10) which is usually once a month.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Friday September 07, 2012 11:02 AM

Duncan Hines all the way!!!!

Whoop Whoop!

=)

Report Violation

Bottom

BakingByDeb
Posted: Monday September 10, 2012 11:15 AM
View users profile

I use the Kroger mixes quite often for my white, yellow, and devils food cakes. I have had nothing but rave reviews. I do use the WASC recipe with the Kroger brand as well, and it is amazing.

Report Violation

Bottom

brandyu
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 8:36 PM

I've used Kroger brand & other store brands with great results!

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 11:25 PM
View users profile

Spooky_789<

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: