skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: thawing frozen cupcakes and cakes
Created On Monday February 08, 2010 7:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dazmae
Posted: Monday February 08, 2010 7:10 PM

So, I made 4 dozen cupcakes and 18 small heart cakes for Valentine's Day at the nursing home. I wrapped each one individually and then put them in freezer bags. My question is: how do I thaw these, in the wrapper or not? How long should I wait to decorate them. Thanks for your help. You guys will never know how much I have learned from this site. Did I tell you I was new to decorating? Start my first class Friday, yeah!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday February 08, 2010 8:40 PM

I would unwrap each cake and let come to room temperature. If you are worried about them drying out during thawing, I like to drape a clean flour sack towel over them. Cupcakes will thaw quickly, like 5 - 10 minutes. Where the cake will take a little longer. (30 Minutes).

I like to make my icing and color it while everything thaws. Good Luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 8:30 AM

dazmae

follow mmumsie's instructions and you won't go wrong.

I might add you really didn't need to wrap each cupcake individually to freeze them. A little extra trouble that you can skip next time.

Be sure to post pics and have fun at your class! It's a wonderful hobby!

Report Violation

Bottom

momascooking
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 2:11 PM

I've never froze cupcakes. Do they turn out as good? I read the experiment on frozen cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

dazmae
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 8:11 PM

Mmumsie and sweetgrandma, thank you so much for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not computer smart so I don't know how to send pictures to computer! I'm new at both decorating and computing, ha!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 8:17 PM

momascooking- I like to place my cupcakes in a foil tin you get from the dollar store, that comes with a foil/paper lid. I just pop them inside and freeze the bunch together. As long as you don't freeze them for an extended length of time (no more than a week), they would out beautifully.

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 10:51 PM
View users profile

I have frozen frosted and unfrosted cupcakes for weeks. I keep them in a flat Rubbermaid container so they don't get smooshed. I have frosted them frozen or thawed (usually just a simple swirl--I am not a fancy caker). They defrost really quickly. Many people crumb coat their cakes frozen. I like to have some in the freezer as it is such an easy treat to bring when I am going to a friends house. Ooops, got off track. I would take them out of the wrapper to thaw so the wrapper doesn't stick to the thawing cupcake. By the time you have the last ones out of the wrapping the first ones will probably be thawed already!

Report Violation

Bottom

momascooking
Posted: Wednesday February 10, 2010 1:24 AM

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bobbi
Posted: Wednesday February 10, 2010 4:02 PM

I bake my cupcakes, fill them using my bismark tube, put them in tupperware/rubbermaid and freeze. If I have two layers, I put wax paper between the cupcake layers.
When I need cupcakes, I take them out of the freezer and decorate them still frozen. To date, I haven't had problems.
Bobbi

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: