skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Wilton pre-made rolled fondant
Created On Monday February 01, 2010 5:30 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

pjrco3565
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 5:30 PM

I bought a x of the pre-made rolled fondant and used it for a cake and I flavored it and got it on the cake and it came out great except it seemed to be doughy when you bit into the cake. Can you tell me what I did wrong or how to keep it from being doughy like that?

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 7:36 AM

I used it once for my class cake and I think that doughy texture got worse a couple days after it was on the cake. Fondant has to be pliable and to me, that just equals a yucky texture to start with. I'm not a Wilton fondant fan! Haven't tried to make MMF yet so I am unsure of how that texture changes after it's been on a cake for a day or tow.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 7:37 AM

*two not tow

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 10:19 AM

I've only being working with fondant for a few months, the first time I used it, my DH said it was too chewy, I looked at it, it was quite thick, I posted a cake last month and made sure I rolled the MMF thin as I could, we all agreed that the MMF and the icing "melted" together so much better and we were able to eat cake without peeling fondant off(even after about 3 days it was good) I wish I could say how thin I rolled it, I just rolled till it "felt" right.Do you think it was rolled thin enough?

Report Violation

Bottom

kris0
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 10:50 AM

I started off making MMF but had a baby shower cake to make that was going to take some time so I used the Wilton store bought fondant. It tasted very strongly of chemicals. I was very disappointed with it. I will only use store bought for non-edible characters and such now. The homemade MMF is fairly easy to make but I can never get it as thin as I'd like and you definitely can't move it if you don't get it on right because icing sticks instantly. I tried another recipe that is based with glucose & gelatin instead of marshmallows and it worked like a dream. I even had to pull it back up because I needed more off of one end to fashion a fish tail and it did great! It also tasted really good with the icing and I was able to roll it very thin too.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 4:36 PM

I make no bones about the Wilton fondant...............I don't like it.

It is fine for beginners learning on what the texture is suppose to be like and to make molded figures out of that are not to be eaten. But to sit down and eat the stuff?

Nah.......I'll pass.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bobbi
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 6:53 PM

I thought the Wilton fondant smelled and rolled like silly putty. I used it on a cake because I didn't know any better and that's how I was taught in the Wilton class. I purchased a ready made fondant from my local cake shop and that worked fine.

I will use Wilton fondant for my molds. I rolled the fondant thin and put it in sea shell molds. I brused the dried molds with mother of pearl luster dust. very pretty.

I would also use the Wilton fondant to make figures, but I'm not ready to try that yet.

I want to try BunnyWoman's MMF. Her recipes are great!
Bobbi

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Friday February 05, 2010 9:41 AM
View users profile

Sweetie, you didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately, it was the brand of fondant that you used. It is nasty stuff. Have 4 Lbs of it sitting on my pantry shelf. Only thing I'll use it for is to make figures and decorations that are not meant for human consumption.

Gave away my first fondant coered cake and the folks said it was like rubbery cardboard. Yuk!

You can make Marshmallow Fondant quite easily and it is far more economical than pre-rolled fondant. It is marvelous to work with. I prefer the recipe that adds 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract. It is smoother, more pliable, and not as dry as the plain MMF. Rolls out like a dream.

You may want to try a batch of MMF .... approximately 3 pounds per batch.

Report Violation

Bottom

alyababe
Posted: Friday February 05, 2010 11:39 AM

MMF is way better than premade fondant..and in my experience the texture doesn't change over time. You had said that the longer your cake sat the gooyier the fondant became...MMF doesn't do that, it holds it's texture very well.

Report Violation

Bottom

pjrco3565
Posted: Friday February 12, 2010 2:14 PM

thank you bassettscreek ...that was very helpful

Report Violation

Bottom

pjrco3565
Posted: Friday February 12, 2010 2:15 PM

thanks to you to alyababe

Report Violation

Bottom

csswim4life
Posted: Sunday April 25, 2010 7:39 AM

I don't personally enjoy MMF because of the mess it takes to make so I strongly suggest giving Satin Ice fondant a try. It tastes SSOO much better than the Wilton, you only have to use half the amount of Wilton fondant you would use[ex. if you needed 24oz. of Wilton fondant to cover a 8in. round you would only use 12oz. of Satin Ice fondant!], it takes me 20 seconds to roll out a sheet of Satin Ice fondant for an 8in. round, and it costs less than Wilton because you get more for your money. It isn't sold everywhere but is definitely worth looking into. :]

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Wednesday January 26, 2011 9:48 AM
View users profile

If you flavor the Wilton pre-made rolled fondant is it any better?

I plan on using this for my brother's wedding cake next weekend... I wanted Satin Ice, but don't have enough time to purchase it online...plus, I already have 17lbs. of Wilton's.

What do you use to flavor it with? Lorann's clear flavorings? How many drops do you add?

What's the MMF recipe that uses lemon extrat, etc.? If you tell me the title of it I'll search for it on the site. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Wednesday January 26, 2011 11:36 AM
View users profile

I think I found my answer. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

fredostreats
Posted: Wednesday January 26, 2011 11:51 AM
View users profile

Wow the wilton fondant taste that bad? I never used fondant before but plan on using it soon.. I'll probably use the wilton fondant just to practice

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday January 26, 2011 1:42 PM

I think taste is subjective, but the overwhelming posted opinion of Wilton fondant is yes, it tastes bad.

It smells like chemicals when you open the box.

If you have a Michael's close by, you can also buy Duff's fondant there. It is Fondarific brand and it taste MUCH better than Wilton. It's greasier in texture and I think both are easy to roll out.

If you can order fondant, there are many options out there like FondX, Satin Ice, Pettinice, Choco Pan, etc.

Making marshmallow fondant is a touch messy due to the powdered sugar, but if you make your own buttercream, you are used to that! Clean up is easy enough...I just soak the bowl I melted the marshmallows in with dishsoap and warm water and it cleans up easily.

**I do spray my spoon, bowl and mat with Pam prior to making MMF** It helps.

Good luck with whatever fondant you choose!

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Wednesday January 26, 2011 2:25 PM
View users profile

Thanks, Chasey!

I went out on my lunch hour and got a few Lorann's oils in hopes to spruce up the taste of Wilton's fondant. I also might make a batch of Bunny's MMF just to have as back up if the Wilton's still tastes gross.

Thanks so much for your help!

Report Violation

Bottom

HeatherO
Posted: Friday January 28, 2011 9:49 AM

Does anyone have a copy of Bunny's MMF recipe?

Report Violation

Bottom

fairedust
Posted: Friday January 28, 2011 12:28 PM

heather- it's in the recipe section of this forum

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday January 28, 2011 12:33 PM

To flavor the Wilton fondant to help it be more taste better, I first make a flavorful bc. Then scoop out a dollop of bc and knead in into the fondant. Not only does it flavor the fondant, it compliments the bc icing I have on the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: