skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Covering Petits Fours with Candy Melts
brikl 01/30/2010 8:57 PM
I am a new WMI and needs some help. In the Candy Creations Project Class we are supposed to teach how to cover petits fours with candy melts. I don't understand how the candy melts are supposed to be thin enough to do this when the correct melted temperature is described as "when the candy melts look like pudding." So the pouring on--I tried out of a bag w/ a ca. 3/8" hole and pouring from the melting pot--didn't work. I also tried dipping them, as I have cake balls. This was very difficult and left a lot of crumbs in my candy melts, so I can't call that method successful, either. The best thing I tried was to stick a fork in the bottom and dip only the top and sides in, tap it on the side of the pot, and then slide the fork down through the slits of a cooling rack that I have that has only wires going across (not across and up and down).

I saw a post on here from 2007 where someone else had this problem and ganache was suggested, but I'm supposed to be able to teach them to do it with candy melts! I also see where they suggest doing it with brownies cut in small sizes. I just don't get it! Help!

frogmom 01/30/2010 10:19 PM
You make the ganache w/ the candymelts. I add 1/2 cup of heated cream to 1 pkg of the candy melts & stir until melted. You can microwave a little at a time if it is still too thick for pouring- careful not to over heat. I place the cakes on a grid w/ a parchment lined pan underneath to catch the drippings for re-use. After the cakes have hardened, you can carefully pick them up & dip the bottoms & set on parchment to dry.
brikl 01/30/2010 11:08 PM
frogmom, thank you so much for answering! I'm especially glad to know about how to do the bottoms. Do you turn them upside down on the parchment paper so the bottoms can dry? Or do you set the wet bottom (sounds funny) on the parchment paper?

However, in the Project Class directions and in the Wilton Yearbook and even in the Brownie Book it says simply to cover the little cakes with candy melts. It doesn't say anything about ganache. Believe me, I'd love to use ganache, but that's not what the instructions say.

MARIE J 01/31/2010 8:16 AM
brikl - I had the same problem for my first candy demo !!

Try adding a couple of TBSP of shortening to the candies

If you want to e-mail with any other questions - I know I had a lot to begin with !!

reddragonfl@directv.net
frogmom 01/31/2010 9:58 AM
You set the bottoms right on the parchment- otherwise you might get drips going up if you turn them over. If you get a little "foot" around the bottom, you can pare it off w/ a small knife. The shortning in the melts works great also!
brikl 01/31/2010 10:05 AM
frogmom,

I had a feeling you'd say that about it dripping up/down the petit four!

I wonder if Wilton considers the shortening to be cheating. I'm sure they would say you don't have to do anything to their candy melts!
frogmom 01/31/2010 5:58 PM
brikl,
I have an old Wilton book "The Complete Wilton Book of Candy" that I absolutely LOVE!, that is copyrighted 1981 that also has you using candymelts only to cover the petit fours- it tastes like a candy bar w/ cake inside- too thick!! I think that it is definately NOT cheating to use some shortning- anything to insure a student's desire to want to keep on learning & adapting a recipie to work FOR you, not against!!
bunnywoman 01/31/2010 7:22 PM
I add a couple tablespoons of canola oil to thin down the candy melts. It works like a charm.
brikl 01/31/2010 7:58 PM
Boy, am I glad to hear that it wasn't just me! Whew! Can't wait to try it again.
MARIE J 02/01/2010 2:29 AM
Good luck - don't forget - post pictures !!
bassettscreek 02/01/2010 12:04 PM
Brikl ... congrats on being new Wilton Instructor ... WTG!

Here is a link from the Wilton's Idea site on Petit Fours .... using ganache made from candy melts. You absolutely cannot coer cake or cookies with candy melts without thinning.

Thought you might like this link and you can find links to some of the other info pages Wilton has on petit four type cakes and candy melts ^_^

Wishing you Great Luck ^_^

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Pastel-Petit-Fours-Mini-Cakes

Scroll down the page til you came to the Ganache link:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Covering-the-Cupcake-Using-Ganache-Candy-Melts

brikl 02/01/2010 4:25 PM
bassettscreek, those were good links and I enjoyed looking at them. I still don't get why they say to cover the cakes with just candy melts, though.

I asked my Class Marketing Supervisor and she said she herself had difficulties with that, so she forwarded my email on to the class designer/developer. I will let you all know what I hear about his/her answer!
bunnywoman 02/01/2010 5:18 PM
Using just the straight candy melts melted will create a heavy, thick pourable chocolate.

It has to be thinned down somehow. Either use some canola oil OR heavy cream to make it into ganache.

I'll bet money that is the answer you get back......
brikl 02/06/2010 2:11 PM
This is the answer I got forwarded to me from the Class Marketing Product Manager/Lead Trainer at Wilton's named Cora Smith:

When I cover petit four with Candy Melts, I add shortening to the melted melts to thin them down (about 1 tablespoons per bag). I also freeze the cake first then dip it into the candy melts using a bamboo skewer. I don’t dip the bottoms though, only the top and sides since they are frozen. This keeps the condensation from forming on the candy coating.

This is the answer, which pertains to teaching this technique, forwarded from Lori Ellis who is a Certified Lead Trainer:

See Cora’s response…however this is not what is in the Candy book….and it would be impossible to have frozen cake in class. This is why I would bring prepared samples to class and just walk the students through the steps. Showing each step…but having a finished sample that looks good.

So... do you all use more than 1 T shortening/oil per bag? I wonder b/c I used more than that and it wasn't enough, so I thought.
bunnywoman 02/06/2010 8:22 PM
I think I used 5 tablespoons for 2 bags of melts. I like the canola oil better than shortening. WHY? I don't like the clumpy action that you get when you first put the shortening in the chocolate to melt. The oil is instant! Just dump it in and stir. Let the chocolate drip off the spoon back into your double boiler. Once it flows nicely then it is ready.

Do a couple of test pieces. You can always add a little more oil if you need too.
MARIE J 02/07/2010 9:02 AM
bunny - you crack me up !!

I never measue mine though - I jsut put it in until it's thin enough for what I want it for !! LOL
brikl 02/07/2010 10:22 AM
Marie J,

You are definitely a woman who's confident that she knows what she wants! :-)
MARIE J 02/07/2010 5:50 PM
haha what can I say ? !!