skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Making buttercream flowers in advance
Created On Monday January 25, 2010 4:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

rmeals
Posted: Monday January 25, 2010 4:35 PM

Hello all! I have taken Wilton course 1 and can do beautiful roses now. For a school fundraiser, I have been asked to help with the dessert. I will need to make 300 roses to place atop these little cakes. Using class buttercream with meringue powder so that they'll form a crust, how far in advance will can I make these so that I have time to make some, take a break, make some later, make some the next day...I don't think I could just sit down and make 300 roses in one sitting. I want to have time to finish them and time for them to crust up a bit. And I know they normally need to air dry, but at some point do I need to put them in a fridge to keep?

By the way, the dessert I'm going to do is the little rectangle cakes with zigzag white icing with a rose on top that you can see in the back of the Wilton Course 1 book. Basically, we are planning to bake huge sheet cakes (using industrial sized pans in the school cafeteria) and cut them into the proper sizes, then I will decorate them. I want them mostly done the day before and then I'll have some more time the day of the fundraiser, which is at 6pm. Does this sound like an easy enough project, or does anyone have any other simple ideas? This is basically the only thing I found that seemed simple and fast (except for that pesky little rose!) I just want them to be cute. They need to be small individual sized desserts that we can have plated up for the "dinner fundraiser" so people can just pick it up buffett style. Oh, and it's Valentine's Day themed. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

dittomom
Posted: Monday January 25, 2010 4:56 PM

How about a rosebud instead of a full rose? Or maybe hearts or a combo of both. Less work for you and still pretty.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday January 25, 2010 5:24 PM

I don't refrigerate my buttercream. I'd make the roses a couple of days ahead of time and put them on waxed paper. Then you can lift them off and put them on the cake when you're ready. That's a lot of roses though so be prepared to do it in intervals.
I do like ditto's idea of using rosebuds also. They would be very dainty and pretty.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday January 25, 2010 5:48 PM

If you're using the class buttercream, you can make that upto 2 weeks ahead of time, & it will still be good !!

I would start making the roses about a wekk ahead of time, & see how that works Although, I too think that rosebuds would be very nice

Report Violation

Bottom

rmeals
Posted: Monday January 25, 2010 6:10 PM

I've never made rosebuds before, but I can practice those and see how it goes. It would probably be quicker since it looks like you just pipe those onto the cake rather than using a flower nail and transfering as with roses. If I decide to do roses and leave them out on wax paper, do they need to be covered at all?

And thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 1:34 AM

I would cover them with something light - some kind of cheesecloth (you never know !!)

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 9:54 AM

I wouldn't cover them with cheesecloth. I would place them in a cake, shoe, shipping box for safe keeping. Keeps sun, heat, dust & critters out and lots of air flow around them.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 9:56 AM

You can always use a smaller petal tip, like 103, 102, 101 or sometimes I make a rose with 1, 3, 5 petal rows. to make them appear smaller.

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 11:27 AM

Perhaps you could freeze the roses.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 3:22 PM

"You can always use a smaller petal tip, like 103, 102, 101 or sometimes I make a rose with 1, 3, 5 petal rows. to make them appear smaller."

You sure can!!!!! I use the Hershey Mini chips for the center bases of these. Now DO NOT confuse the mini chips with the regular chocolate chips. They are not the same. The MINI chips are slightly bigger than the regular chocolate chips. I do 2 rows of petals for these and they come out really cute.

"Perhaps you could freeze the roses."

You could, but you have to keep in mind once these come out of the freezer they thaw very FAST! You have about a 2 minute time frame to get them where you want them PLUS they are gonna be more fragile. You really have to have a gentle hand if you go this route.

If time was an issue then I would make these up like 3 days in advance (but then I can whip these little buggers out pretty fast) and use an air-dried buttercream.

Good luck,
BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Bobbi
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 4:00 PM

Hello,
Years ago I made 250 chrysanthemums for a church dinner. I don't recall how many batches of icing I made, but I tinted each batch a shade of yellow, gold, orange, and copper. I made them all on a flower nail with a square of wax paper. I flash froze them and then layered in tupperware. I baked and decorated a 16" centerpiece cake and 6 sheet cakes. I iced and scored the sheet cakes and put a frozen flower on each square. By serving time, the flowers were thawed and everyone thought that I was a very busy person making everything that day. I smiled!

I like to think that now I am older and wiser. (well, older anyhow.) This is what I would do now. Have you thought of baking cupcakes using valentine cupcake liners? I would bake and freeze cupcakes now. I would use my bismark tube and add some butter cream filling to the cupcakes before I froze them. I would either make red summer coating hearts or purchase red gummy or jelly hearts to decorate the cupcakes. I would swirl the icing on the cupcake using one of my decorating tips and place the red heart in the center of the cupcake. I might also use red or pink jimmies in addition to the red heart. I might also make pink hearts, too.

I would have a separate decorated dessert table with plates of cupcakes using glass cake plates. I also have a set of 3 stacking glass cake plates that I use for stacking cupcakes that I decorate with the wire red foil hearts (25 foot) that you buy at $ store.
Bobbi

Report Violation

Bottom

mmmdelicious
Posted: Monday May 02, 2011 11:03 AM

Question for BW:

"air dried buttercream"? I searched for this in the forum but nothing came up. Could you please explain what would need to be added, or removed, from your BC to achieve this. I have my first cake order ever and this would perhaps be the way to go for the decorations. Your BC was requested as all my test cakes had this. Of course you have been told many times before, it is really liked by the "vultures", they even scrape off the cake boards for every last bit.

Thanks very much!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday May 04, 2011 1:11 PM
View users profile

Not BW but I do believe she just meant to let the roses or flowers made from BC just sit out and air dry. They will get hard and crusty on the outside, but soft and moist on the inside.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: