skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Duncan Hines Left Over Cake Batter (Refrigerated Immeadately) 5 days later! Look and see the results!!!!!
Created On Monday December 28, 2009 8:18 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 8:18 AM
View users profile

Okay,

Made batter and baked 3 dozen cupcakes on Wednesday, December 23, 2009, DH Dark Chocolate cake mix. Had batter left over for another dozen. Put it in the fridge, was out of town over the weekend, got back yesterday evening, Sunday, December 27, 2009 and wanted some cake.

I remembered that I had left over chocolate cake batter in fridge from last Wedensday. Took it out, let come to room temp and stired it mildly, put it in the cupcake liners and here are the results.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 8:23 AM
View users profile

let me try it again.....

SSPX0355.jpg SSPX0355.jpg  (78 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 10:13 AM

Wow, that is good to know! They look just a good as if you had baked them that very day!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 10:35 AM

WOW - that is good to know

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 12:21 PM
View users profile

cdas1957 and Marie J, they taste just as good if not better.....you know what I mean. They are sooo moist. I only put a thin coat of frosting on them so you would be able to see that they did rise, very well at that.

Next time I have some left over batter I will freeze some and then test it. I will keep you all posted a to the outcome.

Need to eat that last one that I did not cut. MMMM Good!

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Monday December 28, 2009 5:57 PM

Cat I'm jealous, I have had no cake over the Holidays, made mostly cookies for orders. I did make a Plum Pudding for Christmas and it was delish!

Report Violation

Bottom

houmoore4
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 7:19 AM

I've refrigerated left-over batter a number of times. The one thing I did find (with mine) is that I needed to let it "warm" up before baking with it. Now I wish I (hint...hint...)I could figure out how to use my leftover egg yolks when I make a white cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 7:19 AM
View users profile

That's the one good thing about baking and decorating. We may not want to go into detail on cupcakes or cakes, but we can still bake and put some of that delish frosting on delish moist cake and Enjoy!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 11:04 AM

houmoore....why not make a chocolate cake along with the white cake and use the yolks in it. If you don't need it right away you can freeze it til later, but as many cakes as you make I'll bet you'll use it soon. I substitute yolks for whole eggs often in other than white cakes. I usually use one whole egg and 3 or 4 extra yolks for one cake mix.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 11:43 AM

HOUMOORE: I never use "just the whites" for a white cake anymore. I use 2 whole eggs every single time for one cake mix.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 11:56 AM
View users profile

houmoore4,

I recently made a white cake with egg whites only. Dry, dry, and dry. Before that I would always use 3 whole eggs, but I was trying to see how white it would be without the whole eggs, so I did try it with just the whites.

Won't ever do that again. I'm with Bunnywoman, 3 whole eggs, always. Bunnywoman says 2 whole eggs, but just know that you can use whole eggs so you don't have to worry about those silly yokes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 12:35 PM

Cat,

Have some cake mix left over from cake I am making today. I am going refrigerate it until this weekend when I can bake some cupcakes with it, just to give it a try. So hope mine turns out as well as yours. Cindi

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 1:19 PM
View users profile

cdas1957,

I know you already probably know to do this, but just in case, make sure you put it in a container with a good snap tight lid. When I took it out of the refrigerator, I only let mine sit out for about 10-15 minutes to get to room temp. I did not whip it up just gave it a few stirs to mix it evenly and then put in the cupcake liners and baked.

Make sure you take some pics and make sure you let us know what type of cake mix (Brand) did you use or if you did a scratch cake.

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Tuesday December 29, 2009 1:29 PM

Thanks for the tips Cat... I have it in a tight sealed container.... Forgot about letting in warm up a little though.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday December 31, 2009 8:49 AM
View users profile

Okay, I put some leftover DH White batter in the freezer on Tuesday night, December 29th, I will bake a dozen cupcakes from it maybe over the weekend. I will bring it to room temp, stir up gently and bake. I will let you all know how they come out from batter being frozen for several days.

If it works we can stop having to rush and bake leftover batter. We can for sure refrigerate and hopefully freeze batter after my next experiment testing is done.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday December 31, 2009 11:04 AM

Keep me posted Ladycat!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mrs. P
Posted: Thursday December 31, 2009 8:04 PM

Wow, this is great to know. I have thrown out extra batter because I have read elsewhere the batter is no good after about half hour and If used the cake would not come out right. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks for letting us know and showing us too!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 10:23 AM
View users profile

Glad you were able to read the post Mrs. P. I will be baking the frozen batter hopefully tonight.

I will post next results when done.

At least now you can refrigerate you left over batter for at least a week!

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 10:54 AM

Cat....

I did it.... These were made this morning with batter left from my Santa Cake from last week (Wed) Refrigerated for 5 days, stirred it up, let set for 15 mins. and baked. They are marble, so I had yellow and choc. cake mix left. Both did well, just ate one, still moist and delish.....

CC (5 day old batter) resized.jpg CC (5 day old batter) resized.jpg  (37 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Sophie Deprez
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 1:22 PM

Houmoore4, I use my egg yolks to make all kinds of bavarois, to fill the cake or cup cakes with...

Sophie

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: