skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Micro Bakes Cake Pans by Wilton
Created On Sunday September 06, 2009 7:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

deedee4420
Posted: Sunday September 06, 2009 7:44 PM

While going through my Mom's bake pans I found 2 Wilton Micro Bakes Pans, one in the shape of a star and one in the shape of a heart. There were no instructions and I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these pans? I never baked anything in the microwave before and was wondering how to do it.

They are both in like new condition and I think they came out sometime in the '90s.

Thank you for any help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday September 06, 2009 9:13 PM

Those were offered in Yearbooks 1990, 1991, and 1992.

Microwave ovens had become standard in nearly every household by then, and women were entering the workforce in huge numbers. Many marketers bet that the speed of cooking cakes in the microwave would be very appealing to working women. There were cake mixes developed to be used in the microwave, and special cookware for the purpose.

What can we say? The marketers were wrong. Baking in the microwave did not appeal to women, working outside the home or not.

The 1990 Yearbook has a whole catalog page devoted to these pans. The desciptions focus entirely on microwave use, and talk about using them with the new mixes.

By 1991 the full catalog page called them "dessert molds" and devoted only 2 lines to their microwave use. It emphasized using them as gelatin molds, molds for mousse, and for ice cream. (In fact, they show ice cream molded in both the heart and star.)

The 1992 Yearbook has only a third-of-a-page for these items, with no cakes or desserts pictured.

I think you just found yourself a couple of lovely ice cream molds.

If you want to try microwave "baking" in them, perhaps you can find some old recipes from that era.

Good luck ... and let us know if/how you use them.

Report Violation

Bottom

deedee4420
Posted: Monday September 07, 2009 7:36 AM

Thank you so much Jeanne for your reply. I don't remember my Mom ever baking in the microwave either the pans look brand new.

I will use them for ice cream or perhaps Jello, microwave cakes, no thanks!

Again thank you for your quick reply, you are the best!

Report Violation

Bottom

DIBBERS
Posted: Monday September 07, 2009 10:47 AM

I had a few of those pans once - not sure where I bought them - probably Penney's.
Man that was a long time ago...
..Microwaved cake has a different consistency - and the taste isn't quite the same for some unforeseen reason..
I have taken a small amount of batter and put it in the microwave instead of heating up my oven
for a cupcake sized bit to fill in a spot or 2 on a cake - serves its purpose.

Speaking of quick cakes - wish they would bring back the snack'n cakes (they weren't microwavable) -
can't remember what brand, but we had those quite a bit when I was younger - and they were good too -
especially the banana ! (sorry got off track).

Report Violation

Bottom

deedee4420
Posted: Monday September 07, 2009 11:43 AM

I remember the snack'n cakes also I think they were Pillsbury but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your response, that is a good idea to use them if I need a fill in on a cake I don't think I would want a whole microwave cake though!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: