skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help - Adhesive on New Wilton Pans
Created On Sunday September 06, 2009 7:33 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

iluvbuttercream
Posted: Sunday September 06, 2009 7:33 PM

Hello - I'm having a lot of trouble removing the adhesive that holds the labels on the Wilton pans. Oil isn't working and long soaks in hot water aren't either. What have others had luck with? Goo Gone? Is that safe as long as I wash my pans thoroughly?

Thanks in advance,

iluvbuttercream

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday September 06, 2009 8:19 PM

spray it with windex, wait about 10-15 minutes. It should come off easily.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday September 06, 2009 9:19 PM

Goo Gone is the only thing I have found that works consistently. I have a collection of more than 500 pans. Not all of them came with their labels, of course, but I got to the point of preferring to find pans that had actually been used than pans that still have their 1987 labels stuck on!

The labels that are stuck on now with some kind of translucent gummy stuff are less difficult to remove. I'm glad to see most pans with that method of adhesive now. But there are still cases where the old method is used, and, of course, if you buy vintage pans you may encounter very stubborn glue!

As you can imagine, it is not advisable to use anything abrasive, and do not use metal polish on anodized aluminum.

Report Violation

Bottom

iluvbuttercream
Posted: Monday September 07, 2009 2:24 PM

Thanks for the replies - I'll try these methods!

I know Wilton doesn't moderate anymore, but maybe they'll notice that they can save some money by using less adhesive on their pans.

Report Violation

Bottom

furball
Posted: Monday September 07, 2009 3:23 PM
View users profile

My granny taught me how to get bumper stickers off a car once and it worked like a charm. She took mayonnaise and wiped it on the sticker,thentooka blow dryer to it for a couple of minutes. It peeled right off. I've never tried this on pans before but it;s worth a shot!

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Tuesday September 08, 2009 10:17 PM

Try making a paste with baking soda and dish detergent and rubbing it in.

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Tuesday September 08, 2009 10:23 PM

i wouldn't use goo gone you can really wreck things with that. some one showed me how how to get stuckers off, take a lighter hold it on the sticker for a few seconds. peel do i again and peel, sorry that was for stickers, usually you can just roll it off with your thumb. until it looks like a booger lol sorry i'm bad

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday September 08, 2009 10:38 PM

I'm telling you folks, I've removed HUNDREDS of Wilton labels. I have tired mayonaise. I have tried peanut butter. I have tried baking soda, dry and in a paste. I have tried boiling water. I have tried ice cubes. I have tried Windex. Every time the nice guy in the brown truck dropped off another box of vintage pans I tried a different method that web posters swore would absolutely take the most stubborn stickers off.

The only thing that worked for me was GooGone.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

looneytoon
Posted: Thursday September 10, 2009 12:31 PM

Jeanne G you are so right about goo done. I bought a guitar pan to make a birthday cake for my son, took the paper off and there was four big spots of glue. So i tried a lot of the suggestions that everyone made because i didn't want to spend the money for bottle of goo gone, but nothing worked. I decided to run to my local General Dollar store to see if they had bottle of it, well they did and it was only $1.50. Came home and it took it off with hardly any rubbing, it was definitaley worth the $1.50, now i have it on hand. Never would have thought of Goo Gone, so thank you for saving me on future stress and time on something that was so easy to remove.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Sunday September 13, 2009 8:55 PM

Goo Gone is what I use! Wouldn't run my household without it.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Monday September 14, 2009 11:37 PM

I'm with Jeanne...Goo Gone is the best to use. I always keep some in my house....I even made my son go buy me another bottle when he left mine at his friends house....his friend lived too far to go back and get it.

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Tuesday September 15, 2009 4:27 PM

Since food safety has been an issue lately I thought I might share the MSDS sheet for Goo Gone. According to the sheet it has been shown not to be hazardous if ingested but you should still be cautious. Best to be on the safe side.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Goo%20Gone.pdf

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Tuesday September 15, 2009 4:46 PM

coloradogirl,
Whenever I use Goo Gone on anything that will be used for any type of food...the item is washed thoroughly. I use Dawn and usually thoroughly wash the item 2 or 3 times and I also rinse it thoroughly.
Note: Usually the labels are on the back of the pans and not in the middle of the pans where the cake mix would go.

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Tuesday September 15, 2009 5:23 PM

I probably should have worded that better. I didn't mean to say people shouldn't use it. I just thought everyone would like to know that "According to the Federal Hazardous Substance Act testing protocol 16CFR 1500.3(c)(2)(i), this product was shown to be non-toxic by the oral route of exposure." I'm sure that if you wash the pan thoroughly after use it is safe to use Goo Gone.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: