skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Hard Fondant
fabulous 09/06/2009 10:11 AM

Help! My fondant is hard. We just opened the boxes and they are like little bricks. What do we do? Do we add water like with playdough?
Jeanne G 09/06/2009 11:04 AM
If they are so hard you can't even kneed the "bricks" I think they go back to the store as defective.
lovegrace 09/06/2009 11:36 AM
Put Crisco on your hands and worksurface. You have to kneed the fondant for a while to get it to soften. Adding Crisco to the fondant makes it more pliable.
cakedujour 09/06/2009 12:17 PM
I used to have that problem all the time with Wilton fondant. Since I've switched to MMF or Satin Ice, a little kneading is all it takes because those fondants don't get so rock hard.
sweetgrandma 09/06/2009 1:22 PM
I'm with Jeanne on this...if it's actually rock hard, I'd take it back for a replacement or refund.
But if it's just kinda hard..you can warm it for a short while in the microwave. I do it for about 20 seconds. If that isn't enough, try a few seconds more but remember it heats from the inside out so don't burn yourself.

This was a hint I saw on here and I tried it and it worked. I'd been throwing away lots of leftover fondant before I read that.