skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: What size tip for decorating cupcakes?
Created On Wednesday September 02, 2009 9:39 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Wednesday September 02, 2009 9:39 PM

I've seen a youtube video of a lady that does bc on cupcakes with a size 17 tip and it looks great but sounds like in some of the comments on the video that a size 17 might be a star tip? And is hard to come by....

Anyone have a large tip that they use to decorate cupcakes with and want to share their info? Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Wednesday September 02, 2009 9:48 PM

1M

See this Wilton instruction set:
http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Wednesday September 02, 2009 9:56 PM

I wonder if my bc (your crusting recipe is too thin b/c it does not "stack" like it does in these photos....maybe I need more psugar?

Thanks Jeanne!

Report Violation

Bottom

momascooking
Posted: Wednesday September 02, 2009 11:47 PM

I just got the 1M and love it!

Report Violation

Bottom

habsfan
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 7:05 AM

I use 199 and make swirls when I am looking for a basic cupcake. For the holidays I use 199 on regular or large cupcakes and 18 for mini cupcakes...I make a christmas tree pattern or a star.
I just have found simpler is better and more appreciated on cupcakes. That is unless I go the full blown marzipan flowers route :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

ksrank
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 7:49 AM
View users profile

I use 1M with medium buttercream and its a winner every time.

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:02 AM

I don't know what I am doing wrong then b/c I have the 1m and have used it many times and my cupcakes look like crap afterwards :(

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:05 AM

CupcakeDiva I had trouble with this tip to, I did a search on this site and this link helped me, have you tried it? http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:12 AM

Thanks for your post binkbink....yes, I have tried it though. I'm wondering if my bc is too thin for it to stay stacked up or fluffy on the cupcake. Idk :(

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:28 AM

You may be right. One of the few "tricks" I learned fr my instructor-if my small spatula leans over when I place it in the icing then that's usually medium consistency. My medium is good for me to do piping with. It's really a matter of trial and error, keep working with it! Others with be along shortly with more tips!

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:40 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. I really can't imagine that my bc is too thin but that's the only thing I can come up with. I use Jeanne G's crusting bc recipe and love it.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 10:03 AM
View users profile

Add a little cornstarch to it. I think bunnywoman gave this tip. Oh my it works like a charm. It does not change the taste of your BC either. Once you have the right consistency, you will know it.

Report Violation

Bottom

utahquilter
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 12:38 PM

You will get the stacked look if you hold the bag/tip at a 90 degree angle. In other words, straight up and down. I had a bunch of teenagers over the other night that wanted to decorate. I had them use the 1M and hold it up and down and they were all successful.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 8:30 PM

Ok, everyone, take a deep breath and then laugh histerically with me....I've been using a #32...not a #1M! Ha! Opps! No wonder I'm having issues! I bought a 1M today so will use that next time! Doh! HA!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 8:47 PM

OK I'm laughing.

CupcakeDiva you can use any tip you want to use on your cupcakes. You just can't expect to get the same results with one tip as other people do with a different tip.

Sometimes when I want my cupcakes to be a little flatter (to fit in a carrier for example) I will zig-zag across the top. Tip 32 is nice for that. Try it. You might like that use for that tip.

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 8:55 PM

HA! I know! I wasn't expecting to get the same results with a different tip, I truly thought I was using the 1M, but nope! HA! It was the 32! I do want a nice fluffy stacked up look to the bc, so I think the 1m is the way to go for me, but I might have to try your zig zag with the 32 for fun Glad I could give ya a good laugh tonight!

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Thursday September 03, 2009 9:55 PM

Ha Ha!!!Too funny! I just noticed that three of use suggested you look at the same thread for help, by the second suggestion we should have figured out something was wrong! Hope you enjoy your new tip!

Report Violation

Bottom

CupcakeDiva
Posted: Friday September 04, 2009 10:12 AM

HA! Ya, I was kind of thinking "I've seen this link a million times!" HA! BUt i know everyone was just trying to be helpful! That's why I love this forum!! Thanks again ladies! We are headed on vacation but will be trying my new beloved 1M when I get back! HA!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: