skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Hidden pillars & separator plates.
Created On Sunday August 02, 2009 4:20 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cliff
Posted: Sunday August 02, 2009 4:20 PM

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a stacked cake with no separation using hidden pillars and separator plates? I know the pillars will have to be cut level with the cake. I have to do a stacked cake in September and really don't want to use wooden dowels...The cake will have no borders and will be a 4 tiered cake..I really am not looking forward to stacking the cake on site.. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks so much!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday August 02, 2009 7:41 PM

For your purposes I think the Wilton plastic dowels would be easier to work with than the hidden pillars. The plastic dowels are intended to be cut and it is easy to do so.

I use the Stress Free Support system so I don't use dowels at all. If I had to use dowels again for some reason I would use the plastic ones.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday August 02, 2009 10:52 PM
View users profile

I've used the hidden pillars and plates for stacking and I loved it. You have to assemble onsite but that's the best thing to do anyway, even if using another method. I've just gotten tired of charging the deposit on cake pieces and them not returning them anyway and it's so much easier to use straws (bubble tea and smaller ones inside of them) and then there's usually nothing to be returned.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday August 02, 2009 11:02 PM

How did you use the hidden pillars and plates, cake06? Did you cut the pillars? I see that the description says they are "trimmable" so I guess they work a lot like the platic dowels -- is that correct? They are quite a bit more expensive than the dowel rods. Can you use the dowel rods with the separator plates, if you want to?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday August 02, 2009 11:11 PM
View users profile

Yes, I used a razor knife to cut them down. The Wilton plastic dowells don't fit the separator plates which is too bad because the hidden pillars are wider and they really don't need to be that wide or sometimes, depending on the size of the tiers, they can get a little too close to the edges.

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Monday August 03, 2009 11:33 PM

Cakes O6, you do this even when you do not separate your cakes, right? I have used these like this before putting flowers between each cake, but never when stacked directly on top of each cake. Do you use a size larger plate or does it fit exact...Thanks for your help and everyone elses also.. This cake is for my granddaughter and I am hoping to make it my very best wedding cake, to date.. One more thing, don't have to travel but maybe 8 miles to set it up..just wondering if I could put a wooden dowel in the middle going down the whole cake, 4 tiers, and then I hold it on my lap, do you think it would travel ok.. I did this for her shower cake, 3 tiers-10, 8, & 6". The 10 and 8 were separated but the 8" was placed on the pillars, I held it and it was fine. I set the 6" on top when I was at the destination. Sorry, I'm asking for so much help, but believe me, I so appreciate it..

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 5:43 PM

How dumb of me,, the wooden dowel won't go thru the separator plates...What was I thinking??

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 5:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, cliff, why do you particularly want to use separtor plates and pillars, instead of plastic dowels and cakeboards? Does this offer greater stability? Easier construction?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 6:26 PM
View users profile

cliff - yes, I have used them for direct stacking without any space between. The plates just need to be the same size as the tier you're placing on it. You should still have the tier on its own cardboard first. Yeah, I wondered what you were thinking about , pounding a dowell down through all the tiers and then you realized what you said. I'm wondering too like Jeanne is, why you want to use them instead of just the regular dowell and cardboard method?

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 7:57 PM

I guess I'm thinking it will be more secure. I've never used plastic dowels, only wood. Are these as stable and do you still use a plate plus board? I think when you do cakes that are the same size as board, plate it is mor hard to set it on site, I'd really like it together when I get there, there fore thinking if I held it it would travel much better and safer.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 8:03 PM

Personally, I would not travel with 4 stacked tiers.

Is it fondant? You say there are no borders. What is at the bottom of each tier? How big is the bottom tier?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 8:19 PM
View users profile

Bad idea to hold it in your lap already stacked together. I had someone do that once and it started to slide, even with a center dowell. Plus, holding it on your lap isn't a sturdy solid base as on the floor in back of a vehicle. It's not hard to stack at the venue. That four tiered square I posted recently with the hot pink ribbon and green scrolls was stacked just using bubble tea straws with smaller straws inside of them and cardboards between and it worked out fine. If you're unsure about using straws, then use wooden dowells or the Wilton tubular dowells or the sawed off hidden pillars and plates. But if you do decide on using cardboards between tiers, one will already be under the tier and place another one the same size over the dowells on the lower tier. Then when you set the tier on it, use a sturdy pancake turner under one side and your hand under the other and gently slide/place it on the cardboard below. Then pipe on your borders where the tiers meet together.

Please don't feel that you're asking too many questions. Ask away. Dana

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 9:38 AM

I feel so dumb, but what is bubble tea..Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 11:32 AM
View users profile

Don't feel dumb.....I didn't know what they were either. They're just really fat straws and I order mine from www.tentea.com. They come in a pkg. of 50 for $1.50. Anyway, I've attached a pic so you can see the difference between them and a McDonald size straw. I stick the big one in the cake first, snip it off, then put the smaller one inside of it and snip that off. You don't need to use both when putting a 6" top tier onto an 8" for example. The smaller one is fine for that.

102_16464.JPG 102_16464.JPG  (30 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 7:28 PM

Oh my gosh, you are good...I would be soo scared to use straws....It souunds much easier than cuttiing the wooden dowels tho..I'm gonna check out the website, thanks..The one thing I don't like about the hidden pillars is the big hole you see when you cut the cake.. Also, didn't you say you have traveled with a big cake already stacked? Mine is gonna be 14, 12, 10, & 8".. I'm driving myself crazy with this..I may just use the wooden dowels, maybe use alittle fatter ones and maybe a fatter one also going down the whole cake.. Gotta soon decide as the wedding is coming up in September... I do lots of cakes and wedding cakes, just not alot of stcked ones.. This one is for my oldest granddaughter and I soo want it perfect..I did both my girls cakes and joked at the time that if I were to ever drop one, theirs would be the one to drop, ha!! However, I don't want it to dare be my granddaughter's.. I've made her bridal bouquets, corsages, and boutineres, I'm having an absolute ball..Her cake has to be perfect!! Thanks so much again..

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 7:42 PM

Here is the system I use. I don't do stacked cakes very often, but I consider this investment to be very worthwhile:

www.weddingcakesupports.com

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 8:11 PM
View users profile

No, the one cake I mentioned in my previous email was stacked and they picked it up and held it on their lap and it started to slide by the time they got to where they were going. Please consider taking the tiers separately to the venue and then stack them there. Not only is it safer, but that big four tier will be really heavy, not to mention the settling that sometimes occurs enroute to the destination.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 8:34 PM

Cliff, just to emphasize what cakes06 says about weight -- Do you remember how heavy the 3 tier was that you carried for the shower? This cake will be more than twice as heavy! The 3 tiers used about 23 cups of batter and the larger 4 tiers use 54 cups. And there is more frosting and more filling.

Whew! That would be one HEAVY cake to carry stacked!

Report Violation

Bottom

cliff
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 9:37 PM

Yes, that is true, will be very heavy....I think you all have me convinced, it must be stacked when I deliver it..This cake is just making me so nervous, when actually it's gonna be a very plain simple cake...My granddaughter is such a simple plain gal, just gonna be buttercream with yellow ribbon going around the bottom of each tier, all smooth, no borders, except a very small bead like border where the tiers are set, anitials on top cake with just a few flowers... I did talk her into letting me buy a silver plateau stand.. I think it will be very pretty...Just gonna be an emotional day for all her family, as her husband to be is in Iraq now, returning the end of Aug., stationed in Co. and she will be moving there for at least 2 years from WV...She's only 19, so young and leaving a very close nit family....On the up side..what an experience and all and all we are very happy for her... Thank you all so much....Jeanne, I'm gonna go check out the website you suggested, you and cakes06 have been so helpful!! I would love to post some of my pics, but, I haven't figured that out yet, ha!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 11:36 AM
View users profile

Your very welcome and if you need more help, you can email me directly if you want to. Dana
danafiler@earthlink.net

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: