skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Peanut and Nut Free Candy Melts
Created On Tuesday April 28, 2009 8:42 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

fletcher110400
Posted: Tuesday April 28, 2009 8:42 PM

Hello everyone. Is there a candy melt that has not been processed or contains peanuts? I found one site online, but they were very expensive. I want to make my daughters candy, but one of my girls has a severe peanut allergy. Bakers brand chocolate bars are the only ones out there not processed with peanuts, so I can use the bars, but it's not the same as the melts. Baker's white chocolate chips are processed in a peanut facility, Hershey chocolate chips are safe.

If you are asked to make a peanut free cake/candy/cookie for anyone please be careful. I bake peanut free cakes and cookies, but as of right now peanut free candy is not easily done.

Just FYI, Wilton Candy melts are not peanut free, no brand that I have found so far are, except the very expensive site I found on the web.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday April 28, 2009 8:48 PM

Gosh, that's tough. Let us know if you do find a source. Every now and then someone is looking for that kind of information.

Report Violation

Bottom

teacherdolphin
Posted: Tuesday April 28, 2009 10:01 PM

My son has a life-threatening allergy to tree-nuts and we were told to avoid peanuts as much as possible because tree-nut allergy kids are prone to developing peanut allergies with repeat exposure. I too have had a problem finding "safe" chocolate products to bake with for him. The only candy melts I have found are at this website: http://www.chocoley.com/allergenstatement.htm

It's also important to note when baking for someone with a nut allergy, everything in your kitchen should be thoroughly cleaned if it's came in any contact with nut products or products with a possibility of "nut contamination"...my son had a reaction from a product that was produced in a facility that also handles tree nuts.

For tree nut allergy sufferers, the only "safe" retail chocolate chips i've found is Hershey Brand. All Hershey products are labeled with the "may contain" if there is any posbility of nut contamination in any amount.

Also, remember that companies are not required to label for the possible cross-contamination with nuts by using the same manufacturing lines or if products are produced in a facility that also handle nuts. They only have to label if it contains nuts/nut products as an ingredient.

For cake mixes, Duncan Hines manufactures all their mixes on a line that also handles nuts. They are just starting to include the "may contain" warning on some packaging. Pillsbury cake mixes and most Betty Crocker cake mixes are "safe," and they do label any of there products with the "may contain" warning.

If I have any doubt, I contact the manufacturer of a product directly (I've already corresponded with tons of companies).

At our house we do not allow any products that even have the "may contain" warning for tree nuts or peanuts, so that I know everything that I bake with be completly nut and peanut free.

Report Violation

Bottom

deedee4420
Posted: Wednesday April 29, 2009 5:50 PM

I have used the candy melts from chocoley for someone with peanut allergies and they were fine, they do taste good also. The company has candy melts in dark, milk and white and they have quick shipping.

Report Violation

Bottom

jea
Posted: Thursday February 11, 2010 3:43 PM

I know your message was a long time ago, but if you're still looking, Vermont Nut Free Chocolates guarantees to be safe for peanut and tree nut allergic people. They ship everywhere and also have other baking supplies and candy.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: