skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Sweetex or Alpine Icing Hi Ratio Shortening
mary0616 02/23/2009 3:47 PM
Hi - I am new to cake decorating and have made my buttercream with Crisco shortening. I have been researching other cake icing recipes and learned about Sweetex and Alpine Hi Ratio Shortening. Some bakers recommend Sweetex and Alpine for making a better icing. I haven't found these products in any stores. Is anyone using these Products instead of Crisco? Do you agree that they are better tasting? Thanks very much!
Jeanne G 02/24/2009 8:04 AM
I have used Sweetex. I don't think it tasted better. I think that it may make a frosting that is a little more stable.
Tracey1970 02/24/2009 8:08 AM
I don't use either of those brands (can't get them in Canada), but I do use hi-ratio shortening. I like it.
christmastreegal 09/25/2010 6:58 AM
Do you have a recipe using the Alpine shortening that you would share? I have the basic buttercream recipe but I also read that you should use less of the emulsified shortening than your would with regular shortening. Thanks for your help.
bunnywoman 09/25/2010 8:55 AM
You use the same amount.

So as not to confuse you here..............

If your recipe calls for 1 cup Crisco then OMIT the 1 cup Crisco and replace it with 1 cup Sweetex.
clarefg 07/16/2011 2:03 PM
Bunnywoman, I use your butter cream recipe exclusively. I have no reason to change to anything else because people go wild for it.

There is a restaurant supply place in my town that sells 3 types of hi-ratio shortening, Hi-ratio Plus, Nutex and Sweetex. I see that you mentioned Sweetex, but out of these three would you say that Sweetex is the best for your recipe. I currently use Crisco but I would like to try one of these and will buy whatever you recommend.

Thank you.
whoknew? 07/16/2011 10:48 PM
ANY of the high-ratio shortenings: Sweetex, ADM, Hi-ratio Plus, Nutex is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Crisco with zero trans-fat.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Trust me on this. I've used both.
clarefg 07/17/2011 11:23 AM
Whoknew?: Tell us how you really feel! Just kidding, thanks for commenting. I'm waiting for BMs answer, I want to know if one is better than the other.
Mikel79 07/18/2011 1:02 PM
I use Alpine!

Works well for me.

Michael
cakedujour 07/18/2011 2:11 PM
Mine is from CK and it works for me.