skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Meringue powder substitute
flewcake 01/25/2009 2:05 PM
Is there any substitute for Meringue powder in royal frosting? I'm a wilton instructor and have some students that cannot use egg products in any of their food.
mmumsie 01/26/2009 2:06 PM
VEGAN ROYAL ICING

* 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
* 2 teaspoons milk substitute (like rice milk) or water
* 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, clear vanilla or clear butter
* favorite paste food coloring or powder food coloring

Directions
1. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and first liquid (water or rice milk) until smooth.
2. Add corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
3. Divide into bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Remember, colors will lighten slightly when dry. Dip, pour or paint with a brush onto the cookies. Set aside to dry.
4. Cover icing with damp cloth when not using to prevent crusting.
stelselv 04/08/2010 11:06 AM
I can't find meringue powder anywhere, i live in Europe.

Can i powder ready made meringue and use it to make frosting???

or

there is egg white available in powder.. how many teaspoons of egg white powder substitutes 1 egg white???

thanks for your reply
Irishgurl 04/08/2010 1:57 PM
I've seen powdered egg whites in the grocery store here (Publix). It comes in a can on the sugar/flour/cake mix aisle. However, I've never compared it with Wilton's meringue powder to see if it's basically the same or not.
mmumsie 04/08/2010 4:25 PM
According to baking 911 - Meringue powder: ONE LARGE EGG WHITE = 2 teaspoons of meringue powder plus 2 tablespoons warm water.

Two dried egg white products, pasteurized dried egg white powder and meringue powder, can be used in recipes.
baura_l 04/08/2010 9:44 PM
It is also called Albumem Powder in certain areas.
MARIE J 04/09/2010 6:32 AM
stelselv - don't crush the already made meringues, since they have other ingreditents added !!