skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Pan coating
Created On Wednesday May 28, 2008 7:57 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

jenniferagarner
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 9:22 AM

What is best to coat the pans with to make sure the cake doesn't stick? I tried Pam out of curiosity and ruined a cake because it stuck at places. Does that bake easy or cake release wilton sells work well?

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 10:13 AM

All the methods I've tried work fine if I get the pan thoroughly coated. Some methods are easier to accomplish that than others.

Pam works for me. So do the spray products with flour added. Once I started baking a lot I wanted to get away from the spray products because the spray particles wind up in the air and on cabinet knobs, etc. Sprays work. I just wanted to reduce my use of them.

Old-fashioned grease-and-flour works, but it is messy and it is easy to miss a spot.

The various pan-coating products such as Wilton's Cake Release work wonderfully.

My preference is a home-made version of Pan Goop. It is simply equal parts of flour, shortening, and oil. I use a cup of each, mix them in my food processor, and store it at room temperature in a glass jar. I apply it with a silicone pastry brush.

Report Violation

Bottom

amielyn
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 3:03 PM

I love Wilton's Cake Release, that's all I ever use! The best part is it doesn't leave any residue like grease and flour sometimes does.

Report Violation

Bottom

littlepastrychef
Posted: Monday May 05, 2008 10:33 AM

I use a Crisco brand spray for baking that has Pillsbury flour in it. TRUST ME! My biggest issue with baking has been getting the cakes to release properly and this stuff is AWESOME! If you're doing a character pan, it's great because all of the indentations and detail come out of the pan intact if you use this stuff. It's great!

Check the baking aisle for it.

Report Violation

Bottom

lsscott
Posted: Friday May 23, 2008 4:53 PM

I would like to know if you use certian brand name flour, shorten, and oil in your pan goop recipe. thank you lsscott

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday May 26, 2008 4:31 PM

I use whatever I have on hand to make my pan goop. For me that is typically Crisco and whatever brand of canola oil was last on sale and ditto for the flour.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Tuesday May 27, 2008 7:46 AM

Jeanne G
I have started using the easy bake strips because my cakes weren't baking even.
Since I have been using them my cakes are nice and even and bake up to the top of the pans, but they do kind of stick to the bottom and sides of the pan.
I am going to try your "goop" for coating the pans...but question...do you coat the sides of your cake pans to the top also?
Before using the easy bake strips I did not have this problem of sticking.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday May 27, 2008 4:17 PM

Yes, I grease my sides to the top.

I remove the baking strips the first time I check for doneness. I think going the last few minutes without them helps the sides firm up and release from the pan better.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Wednesday May 28, 2008 7:57 AM

Thank you Jeanne G for your reply. I will try it next time....removing the even bake strips earlier.
Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: