skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Full sheet cake
Created On Thursday February 28, 2008 9:07 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Ayanami
Posted: Wednesday February 13, 2008 6:01 PM

I have purchased the 12x18 sheet cake. (like a regular grocery store sheet cake) how many boxes of cake mix should this require?

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 10:54 AM

It should have the number of cups of mix needed on the pan insert. A standard box mix yields between 4 - 5 cups, depending on the brand. That's if you don't use an extender or doctor the mix in any way.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 10:54 AM

The guidelines for batter amounts can be found here: http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm You didn't say whether your new pan is 2" or 3" deep -- there are charts for each.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 11:04 AM

That size pan takes 2 cake mixes....I use it all the time.
Make sure you have a very sturdy board underneath it.
Happy decorating.....post a picture when it is done.

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Hi, I use three cake mixes for a nice full cake. I love my pan and use it a lot!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 5:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. If I use 3 cake mixes, how bad will it dome? Is there any risk of over flowing? How much time do I need to add to my bake time?

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:23 AM

HI,
I don't time mine. I just watch it and test it. It doesn't seem to need any more time than normal. It doesn't dome but I use the baking strips. I put two together. When I don't use those ,it doesn't dome much. I have never had one overflow. I hope that this helps. tinybear73

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 4:26 PM

Thank you for the updated advice Tinybear. I am going to make this cake on Wed Feb 20th for the twins' party on Saturday. I'll post pics & let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

wonderchic
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 10:53 AM
View users profile

I have one of these pans too - yet unused - but my son's graduation is this spring. I have no heating cores & read that it requires 2. Can I use 2 flower nails or 3?

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Thursday February 21, 2008 3:43 PM

I just baked my first cake in my new 12x18x2 sheet cake pan & it turned out great. (Thanks Tinybear) I used 3 cake mixes, I put 1 chocolate mix on each side & put 1 vanilla in the center (have someone help you pour the batter so they can all 3 be poured at the same time) then I gently swirled the edges of the chocolate & vanilla together. I used 2 baking strips around the outside (no heating core or flower nail used) & baked it at 325 for 50 minutes to begin with. Then tested it & baked for another ... 10? minutes. The whole cake rose & "crowned" (it did not dome) above the top edge of the pan, which was perfect cause then I leveled the top of the cake & I still have a 2" thick cake without having to try & torte that big ole cake. I'll post pics after I'm done decorating it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 9:13 AM

Here is my finished cake. The characters were done with the frozen buttercream transfer method that I got from www.cakecentral.com. I also made a Colorflow transfer (see attached), but decided to use the buttercream instead.

backyardigans  2sm1.JPG backyardigans 2sm1.JPG  (125 KB)
backyardigans  3sm1.JPG backyardigans 3sm1.JPG  (125 KB)
backyardigans  4sm1.JPG backyardigans 4sm1.JPG  (150 KB)
backyardigans  6sm1.JPG backyardigans 6sm1.JPG  (145 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 11:19 AM

HI,
I am really glad that your cake turned out nicely. I can't wait to see the pictures. Here's another tip for you....I make a neapolitan cake...Chocolate, strawberry and white. Sometimes the strawberry is hard to find so if I have to use a different brand than my favorite, then I put the "odd" mix in the middle between the two that are the same brand. Everyone loves it! I love my 12x18 pan and I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do. Tinybear

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 12:51 PM

Sorry...I posted an answer on Feb 14th and gave you the wrong number of cake boxes. I just noticed my error! (a typo)
The 12x18 pan uses 3 boxes of cake mixes not 2!... I answered late at night and did not read over my answer before I posted it.

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 1:08 PM

HI, Your cake turned out BEAUTIFUL! What kind of bottom border is that ? Did you use a leaf tip? Thanks for sharing your pictures. Tinybear

Report Violation

Bottom

pragivaid
Posted: Tuesday February 26, 2008 11:54 AM

Tinybear73: Your neapolitan cake sounds delicious. How do you flavor the strawberry with which oil or flavoring? Also what kind of frosting do you use, is it just vanilla? Sounds very interestiing, please advise. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Thursday February 28, 2008 8:46 AM

I used tip # 2D to make the bottom border. I just kind of wiggled & squiggled it until it looked like leafy bushes. I was going for the back yard feel, you know? Then I add basic little rosette style flowers & I squeezed extra hard to pile up the corners, so they looked like rounder bushes. :-} It was all kind of made up & spontaneous. I'm definitely going to try the 3 flavor cake next time. It's sounds yummy!

Report Violation

Bottom

tinybear73
Posted: Thursday February 28, 2008 9:07 AM

HI, I am a "box" kind of gal! I cheat and use a cake mix that is already flavored strawberry. Duncan Hines almost always has a strawberry mix and the other leading brands sometimes do. I have trouble with the Duncan Hines brand crumbling so I put it in the middle between my favorite brand. I have never tried the oils...do they work and how do you use them? I use my buttercream icing recipe that I got out of the Wilton yearbook years ago. Only I make one change...I use Country Crock churn style in the recipe to cover the cake if I am leaving it in the pan or if I don't mind a softer icing to cover a decorated cake. In Humid weather I would only use it if it were one that I was decorating in the pan. ( EX: event at my house or a potluck that I need a larger dessert for but not trying to impress anyone.) I hope this is helpful to you. Tinybear73

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: