skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Seasonal < REFRESH >
Topic Title: New to forum: 100th b-day cake idea
Created On Thursday May 19, 2011 3:18 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Mari_Cake
Posted: Thursday May 19, 2011 3:18 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I recently started taking Wilton's basic decorating class and loving it. I am planning to make a birthday cake for my grandmother's 100th birthday. Any ideas?

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 9:14 AM
View users profile

The last one I did..many years ago..I used the number one pan and two 8" pans side by side on top of a sheet cake...I know I original say it done in one of the Wilton yearbooks, not sure which one...you might do a search on Wiltons site under ideas or shaped pans. Hope this helps.
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 1:44 PM
View users profile

I did this one a couple years ago. I used the numbers from the small numbers cake pan set and personalized it as shown. The family wanted the 100 years part to be prominent. I had considered using edible images of photos from his life but I ended up liking this better. The numbers and balloons were done in fondant, the rest was buttercream.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/attachments/cake%20pictures%20001.jpg

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 1:46 PM
View users profile

P.S. Post the picture of your cake in Life Celebrations. 100 years is a life celebration if I've ever heard one! And, Happy Birthday to your grandma!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mari_Cake
Posted: Saturday May 21, 2011 8:41 AM

Thank you! I really like that idea. I will be getting the number one pan soon. I have 2 8in pans already. Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday May 22, 2011 3:53 PM

If you haven't been doing cake decorating long, here's a super easy way to write out 100 in cupcakes. I did this for a 90th birthday of my dad's wife.

http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/319

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday May 23, 2011 10:14 PM
View users profile

whoknew, I tried to LIKE your picture but because I'm not a FB member it wouldn't let me! So instead, I will just say I like your cupcake display!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday May 23, 2011 10:16 PM
View users profile

Wait a minute!!!! I wasn't on FB! I was on Shutterfly! I AM a member of Shutterfly! I'm going back to LIKE your picture!!! LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday May 23, 2011 10:33 PM

I NEEDED that laugh! I just got home from babysitting a 90 year old with Alzheimer's and I'm ready to rip my hair out and bang my head on the wall and run naked thru Michaels screaming.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 8:26 AM
View users profile

Oh fun! That'll be on the national news and I'll get to say, oh I know her!!!! (Seriously though, what a kind thing for you to be doing. I know it isn't easy. I hope the occasional laugh helps deal with the sad situation.)

Mari-Cake, we'll be looking forward to seeing your final design and cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday May 24, 2011 12:27 PM

Mari-Cake, when you bake your cake, be sure and post it in the Life Celebrations forum here on Wilton. We are always excited to see what people come up with. I'm often astonished at the level of talent out there from people who are "new" to decorating. Aren't the Wilton classes FUN!

Report Violation

Bottom

fondant_123
Posted: Thursday August 04, 2011 3:51 PM

First of all, 100 years!? wow!

Well, when i think of old females, i think of tea parties! :P So maybe do like a pale rose sheet cake with a tea pot and cup etc.. you got also make a plate of tea biscuits out of fondant!

Or... do something that she likes or enjoys, bingo, gardening etc. i hope this helps!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday August 17, 2011 8:20 PM

Mari, did you ever make the cake?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Seasonal < REFRESH >
Navigation: