skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Seasonal < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fondant vs. Gum Paste
Created On Friday January 15, 2010 8:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

palmermom
Posted: Friday January 15, 2010 8:37 PM

Is there specifice reasons to use one over the other. I know for covering a cake, it would be fondant. Please remember I have never used these products except in a class.

1. If I want to make small hearts to place on cupcakes frosted with buttercream, will either work? Or is buttercream too soft to keep the hearts solid and dried?

2. If I want to cover cookies, how do I adhere the fondant heart to the sugar cookie?

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

cdas1957
Posted: Friday January 15, 2010 9:10 PM

palmermom,

Gum paste does harden faster than fondant. Either one would work, or a mixture of 50/50, my experience with fondant on buttercream was that after a while it did absorb moisture from the frosting and softened up. But if you were going to serve them right away, would probably be ok.

When covering cookies, you brush a little karo syrup on the cookies and then place your fondant on.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Friday January 15, 2010 9:37 PM

Another way to put fondant on cookies is to place the fondant on top of the cookies right after they come out of the oven-the fondant kind of "melts" onto the cookies. I have did this several times the results are pretty nice

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday January 16, 2010 7:28 AM

gumpaste is more pliable than fondant...easier to shape, thus I prefer using it for decorations & molding.

I've used gumpaste decorations on buttercream ..and not had a problem...but then I don't place them on the buttercream sooner than the day before I'll be delivering them.

Either of the tips you've been given work fine for attaching the hearts. Another option is to use royal icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Seasonal < REFRESH >
Navigation: