skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: deep blue color...help please
topsyturvy 10/05/2012 2:54 AM
Im trying to get that true royal blue color in my cake but I've failed. I don't know what im doing wrong. If all else fails i may have to go with boxed cake, im assuming its my cake recipe that is not grasping the color. Does anyone have any tips?
PumpkinMuffin 10/05/2012 7:53 AM
Hi, I have made very Royal Blue cakes before simply using the Wilton gel color and boxed mix. Are you using gel color? If not, I would suggest that for sure.
trecur 10/05/2012 8:14 AM
They say that Americolor works best. You can find it at some craft stores (joanns, hl) or order online from any number of places. HTH
cakedujour 10/05/2012 12:55 PM
I've gotten good results for royal with both Wilton and Americolor, but I might give the edge to Americolor. Maybe a combination?
scubabaker 10/05/2012 1:10 PM
Another thing to remember is that it takes a good amount of gel to get a nice, dark color. A little bit of royal blue in a white batter is going to make light blue. Also, royal blue in a yellow cake batter will likely introduct a green tint to your blue.
topsyturvy 10/06/2012 7:46 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I am using wiltons royal blue gel, it is a white cake batter. Im running short on time so im going to give it one more try but im picking up the Americolor as well. Id never heard of this brand until now and the reviews are great! Thank you all. I will post pictures of the finished product