skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 11x 15 pink pillow cake with white chocolate tiara and scepter
Created On Sunday September 30, 2012 7:30 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Chasey
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 7:30 AM

This was my first attempt to make a pillow cake and I couldn't find sheet cake pics to get inspiration from. Naturally most pillows seem to be from square pans or pillow cake pans.

I used Bunny's MMF, Cami's house buttercream and Rebecca Sutterby's WASC recipe. Thanks, all!

The white chocolate parts were my first attempts, but I used them anyway because I think they came out ok. The only part that broke was the very tip of the crown when I had it in the box...the lid was propped up and pushed on it and snapped off the tippy part. So I ate it. LOL!!

The tassels were made with the Walnut Hollow clay gun extruder. I am not a fan! Maybe it was too humid and therefore the MMF was sticky, but boy did I struggle getting decent tassels.

Thanks for looking. Hearing a 4 year old squeal "My cake is here! My cake is here!" makes the mess and long hours worth it.

Tiara:
Photobucket

Scepter:
Photobucket

Final cake:
Photobucket

Messy me!
Photobucket

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 9:06 AM
View users profile

Great cake!

I'm laughing at your aftermath. It looks a lot like my aftermath, but my aftermath covers 3 rooms. I keep trying to get hold of the mess as I go along, but progress is slow...sigh!

Report Violation

Bottom

tlh
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 9:50 AM

Very well done! My kitchen looks the same way after decorating. lol

Report Violation

Bottom

furball
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 1:54 PM
View users profile

Your cake is gorgeous! I can relate to the aftermath. Next cake I do, I'm going to take a pic of the mess. That would be a funny thread to start! Pictures anyone?

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 2:07 PM
View users profile

That is a really pretty cake!
No, I would be very embarrased by my aftermath! Love the kitchen table workbench, though - that's where I work.

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 5:28 PM
View users profile

The cake is darling! Nice job.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 7:09 PM
View users profile

Love your cake and your table..the sign of busy decorator..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 9:53 PM

BEAUTIFUL cake! New trend, too...get a pic of the aftermath of every cake!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 9:06 AM
View users profile

Beautiful Cake Chasey,

Wow, you did a lot of detailing as well. Yes, those happy tones from the children always makes us forget what a dramatic experience we had putting it all together.

Again wondeful cake.

Ladycat!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 11:10 AM

cute cake! I bet I'd win the contest for the messiest aftermath! DH cleans up after me and when I was making all those pies and cakes this past weekend he walked in, looked around, shook his head and said,"You sure are messy!!" I agreed!!
I wish I'd taken a picture....I had this much times 3!

Report Violation

Bottom

marym.
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 3:17 PM
View users profile

Sooo beautiful!!

Report Violation

Bottom

newbakermom
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 7:06 PM

Very beautiful cake! No matter how much I try to stay clean as I'm going, my mess probably looks bigger than yours as I'm finalizing a cake and I don't even use a lot of decorating tools, lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

IcingArtistry
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 7:10 PM

Lovely! I wouldn't change a thing! Well-done! And I'm laughing and cheering because you all are messy just like me! I have a small kitchen but manage to spread out my mess across two countertops and a dining room table, and across the stove top when on a larger cake. I almost took pictures after my last cakes but got embarassed at the last minute. I just tell my hubby a creative mind is always a little messy in practice.

Report Violation

Bottom

berry good
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 11:12 PM

Your cake is incredible!! Had to laugh at the pic of the aftermath also!! Glad I'm not the only one who is a messy cook/baker. SG....How do you get DH to clean up after you??

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 7:07 AM

Thanks, everyone! That kitchen table mess is only 1/10 of the whole picture, haha!

I made the MMF in my KA and holy cow, that was a candid camera moment. I had stringy melted marshmallows all over the place because I was holding a hot bowl, trying to scrape it into the KA bowl with the dough hook already attached and I dropped the whole thing in and it got stuck around the hook. In a panic, I fished it out and set it on the top of the gas range while using a tea towel as a pot holder. The melted mess on the outside of the bowl naturally oozed even more on the hot surface of the range while it cooled and stuck to the dish towel. It was a melted marshmallow massacre!

IcingArtistry, I use all those surfaces you mention as well...it's crazy messy when I'm in the kitchen. I think that is why I always say "never again" when I'm done with the decorating and then look up and notice the aftermath.

Makes me question why I think this is a fun hobby when the prep and clean up is definitely "un" fun!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:27 AM
View users profile

Very very pretty! Great job!

Report Violation

Bottom

brandyu
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 12:47 PM

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one with such a mess! I'm showing DH tonight since he always comments on how messy I am. lol

Can you explain how you did the crown? The way I read it you did with white chocolate but I'm wondering what you used a mold. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 1:15 PM

Too funny you are going to use my messy pic as evidence, Brandy!

The tiara was made by using a pattern, parchment paper and a crisco can.

I taped the pattern to the can and then taped parchment over that. Once you melt the chocolate, you let it cool before you try to pipe it. Too hot and it will run, too cold and it won't flow smoothly. I used a round tip, maybe a 3? and a disposable piping bag. I had the can sitting on an oven mitt so it wouldn't roll onto the piped chocolate on either side. Once it was hard, I placed it in the fridge for a bit before I removed it from the can.

I untaped the parchment and slid that off of the can and the paper easily pulled away from the chocolate after it was off "the mold." I quickly (gingerly!) put it on the cake and dabbed a few spots of melted white chocolate onto the fondant to seal it in place.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: