skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to create the look of something popping out of cake....
Created On Thursday September 20, 2012 9:45 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

teenykat
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 9:45 AM

Ok so I have to create a cake that looks like the shark is popping out of the middle... I am not sure the best way to describe it, I know i have seen something similar on here. The fondant is curled back looking like triangles and the shark would be popping out... my question is how do i cut and peel back the fondant with no cake crumbs or icing???? I assume the fondant needs to be thick, should i put something like wax paper on the top of the cake then after the fondant is peeled try and remove the wax paper through the hole??? hmmmm

Report Violation

Bottom

childerbrand
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 9:51 AM

The fondant just gives the illusion of being peeled back. I would cover my cake with fondant, place the shark, then pipe some "waves", maybe even white cap waves around the shark, and then insert the little triagles that appear to be peeling back. Maybe make some splashes with fondant on wires and insert those around where he is popping out. To actually cut and peel back the fondant........ My guess would be to put something like waxed paper on the area before covering the cake in fondant, cover it, then "lance" the area and peel it back carefully and then insert the shark. Here is a photo of a cake I did with a golf ball popping out of the grass. And if you'll look I think on page 2 of this forum, you'll see my recent Avengers / Super Heroes cake where I tried to make it look like the Hulk's hand was busting through a brick wall. Hope this helps!

golf18.jpg golf18.jpg  (98 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 9:54 AM
View users profile

You could make the triangles separately and put them into position under the shark. Or you could add BC in the same color to look like water where the shark itself doesn't cover the cake underneath.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 10:19 AM

the sample they sent me is deff one piece... i wish i could attach pic but its always too big...let me try.. also any tips of getting those teeth to stick...lol

sharkresize.jpeg sharkresize.jpeg  (136 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

beanie70
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 11:33 AM

teenykat, you can cut fondant triangles out an position them around the shark. It will give the same illusion. I did this and I did not make the triangles ahead of time. I'll post a pic.

MJ 2.JPG MJ 2.JPG  (76 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 11:39 AM

Beanie... Thank you...ok then i shall try that it seems much more simple, except i guess i need to carve out some cake and make a hole for the shark....

Report Violation

Bottom

beanie70
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 11:42 AM

Personally, I wouldn't carved out the cake. I think it would look fine sitting on top with the waves around him.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 11:57 AM

ok, even better....thanks again!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Dianee
Posted: Tuesday November 06, 2012 12:13 PM
View users profile

Hi beanie70, First, your cake looks great and I must have missed this one in September!! Did you ice it and then out the fondant pieces on the cake. I want to do something like that but do not want to use fondant (covered). Trying to figure out of it could do it that way (icing) and then fondant pieces. Not sure if you will even see this?
Diane

Report Violation

Bottom

beanie70
Posted: Tuesday November 06, 2012 12:34 PM

Hey Dianee! Thanks! The cake is iced in buttercream. I layed the fondant circle on first and then put the triangle pieces around it. I did not let them harden or sit at all beforehand. Hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

Dianee
Posted: Tuesday November 06, 2012 1:58 PM
View users profile

Hey Beanie!! You did see this haha! Yes, that does help very much and Thank you!! Glad I asked

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: