skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Superhero cake... w/ hulk hands...help
Created On Tuesday August 07, 2012 1:26 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

teenykat
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 1:26 PM

Ok so i have been asked by my cousin to do a 2 tier superman/spiderman/batman cake with the incredible hulk hands looking like they are holding up one of the tiers... I usually like to make my fondant accents ahead of time.. but i wont really know how big or how to form/bend them till i see the cake and how much room there will be on the bottom tier??? any suggestions?? can i make it ahead and keep in baggie to still be soft?? should i use just fonant w/ tylose... should i just make individual fingers...hehehe ..and what color green??? hmmmm
thanks again...

Report Violation

Bottom

swishtrish
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 3:10 PM

How about something like this one....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52046826@N08/7037863345/

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 8:02 PM

thats exactly what i have to do.. same pic... any ideas on the hands...

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 9:23 PM
View users profile

The fingers are pretty thick so they will take some time to dry through. You could bend them to a "close" formation, using pans and the wedges that will serve as risers between the tiers, and make little adjustments when you assemble the cake. Because this is the Hulk we're dealing with, if there is some minor cracking on the knuckles or fingers, it would just look like how Hulk fingers look. Theoretically, anyway, lol. I think I would make individual fingers. If you need to fill in behind the fingers that is ok; no one will see that part. I would add tylose to the fondant. I'm thinking leaf green; just add a little at a time until you get to shade or two lighter than you want. It will darken.

Report Violation

Bottom

swishtrish
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 9:58 PM

Those fingers aren't literally holding up the cake, the tier (or whatever that gray part is) in between is holding the tier above it. To figure out the size of the fingers, build a mock cake with your pans and maybe some cake dummies to represent those gray structures. You would at least know the height of everything before baking the cakes and be able to do the hands/fingers beforehand.

Report Violation

Bottom

swishtrish
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 9:58 PM

Those fingers aren't literally holding up the cake, the tier (or whatever that gray part is) in between is holding the tier above it. To figure out the size of the fingers, build a mock cake with your pans and maybe some cake dummies to represent those gray structures. You would at least know the height of everything before baking the cakes and be able to do the hands/fingers beforehand.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Tuesday August 07, 2012 10:36 PM

thank you all.. i think i am gonna put a styro wedge in between the cakes and make them a 10" and 6" leaving enought room on the sides for the hands.. i am gonna try them out tomrorow and see what happens.. you are correct CDJ cracks will only add to the look...

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: