skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Making a cake for a CD release....make that four! Help!
Created On Wednesday May 16, 2012 10:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

KawaiiStarGirl
Posted: Wednesday May 16, 2012 10:19 PM

I'm a musician and very involved in my local music scene. My boyfriend is also in a band and they're about to release their second CD in June. I have made a couple cakes (and cupcakes) with fondant and everything I've done I've figured out myself, but I want as many suggestions as possible to make my current project a success!

I want to make an awesome cake for the CD release and I decided to make four cakes to make up the band's name, 1974 (so one cake made up of each number in their name, 1, 9, 7 and 4. I'll explain my idea for the design of each cake and if anyone has ANY suggestions on how to successfully create ANY of my ideas, I'd LOVE to hear them!

For the 1 cake: Their first album was a concept album about an intergalactic space war, so I wanted to make the number 1 cake represent that album. I figured I would cover the cake in black fondant and cover it with silver stars. This one seems pretty easy. I have black dye and silver dust for the stars, figure I could also sprinkle some on the finished product to really make it shimmer, or do it in strips along the cake so it looks like clusters of stars, like the Milky Way!

For the 9 cake: I want to represent the cover art for the album they're about to release, which is a photo of an old brick building. I want to make the cake look like it's covered in bricks. Now I've seen fondant molds that make it look like it's imprinted with bricks and while that's cute, I was hoping to make them a little larger, most likely by hand. Any suggestions there would be great!

For the 7 cake: I want to have this cake represent their next album (which they're already working on). It's an album about a soldier from the 1700s and I wanted to make the fondant look like old parchment, which I then wanted to write on (with the lyrics of one of the songs from the album) to make it look like an old letter from the solider himself. Any tips on how to make the fondant look like parchment and how best to write on it would be amazing. I don't want to use icing because I want it to look like a real letter, I'd like to write directly on it. I have a pretty steady hand, so using some dyes and a paintbrush could work perhaps?

For the 4 cake: This one I'm unsure of. I thought perhaps it could be a "blank slate" cake, to represent what the future of the band could hold, that the album could be about ANYTHING. I considered covering it in fondant question marks, but it made me think too much of The Riddler from Batman and I didn't want it to look cheesy next to the other cakes. I also thought of leaving it blank, whether it's the fondants normal white or another color, but then I thought that would seem like a cop-out. Any thoughts?

I know I'm asking a lot, and I apologize for needing so much help, but it seems like there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable, and much more practiced bakers here and I need all the help I can get!! Thanks so much in advance!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday May 16, 2012 10:34 PM
View users profile

Welcome to the forum!

Cake 1: Disco Dust might be something very cool to sprinkle on the cake. It has great sparkle, but isn't knock you over either.

Cake 9: Measure with a ruler and use the side of the ruler to mark off your bricks. The fondant can be brick color and you can dust shading with petal dusts of reds and browns.

Cake 7: I would roll out a very thin sheet of ivory fondant, probably with some Tylose powder mixed in. Instead of cutting it with a sharp implement, use one that tears as much as it cuts so the edges aren't too neat. Roll the corners a bit. Dust with some yellowish and brown petal dust for age. Use edible markers to write. Easy peasy on this one.

Cake 4: Get an edible image of blank sheet music made.

I'm sure others will have ideas to offer. These are mine off the top of my head. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

KawaiiStarGirl
Posted: Wednesday May 16, 2012 10:50 PM

Thank you SO much for all your wonderful suggestions! A blank music staff...how did I not think of that?! It's perfect!

Report Violation

Bottom

berry good
Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 12:44 AM

KawaiiStarGirl... Welcome!!!! Your cake sounds awesome. Be sure to post some pictures when it is done. Do you live in Kawaii??

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 9:27 AM
View users profile

I'm glad I was able to help a little bit. I'd love to see pictures of the finished cakes; please post them for us, ok?

Report Violation

Bottom

KawaiiStarGirl
Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 9:51 AM

Thanks berry good! No, Connecticut haha! Kawaii is Japanese for "cute"

You were a huge help cakedujour! I will definitely post pictures when I'm done! Fingers crossed I pull it off ok!

Report Violation

Bottom

BlackWidowNor
Posted: Friday May 18, 2012 7:23 AM
View users profile

KawaiiStarGirl - please remember that Disco Dust is not really edible. It's classified as Non-Toxic but not food safe according to a lot of web sites. I wouldn't use tons of it. I'm wondering if Wilton's Cake Sparkles would work just as well if not better if it's going to be on a part of the cake people would eat?

Report Violation

Bottom

KawaiiStarGirl
Posted: Thursday June 07, 2012 8:57 PM

BlackWidowNor- I'm not using "Disco Dust" per se. I'm using Wilton's "Elegant Shimmer Dust" which can indeed be eaten, so no worries!

A few last minute questions, if anyone will be able to help me!

I need something to "present the cake" on, so to speak. About one foot by four feet. I was told to go to Home Depot and have something cut for me, but it seemed like all they sold were huge boards and, even if they'd cut it for me, I think I'd have to buy the whole thing (can anyone confirm or deny that?) I don't need anything crazy, just something nice and sturdy to hold the cake, with a smooth, decent looking surface. I just want it to look somewhat nice because there's not much point in taking so much care with how the cake looks and then putting it on some plywood covered in tinfoil haha

Also, how do I go about transferring the cakes to the final display? If I crumb coat/decorate the cake on the display board, it'll make a mess of the display. But if I decorate it first, how would I move it without it falling apart or bruising the fondant? This is probably my biggest problem at the moment.

Any suggestions for either of these problems would be beyond amazing. Thank you SO much!

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Friday June 08, 2012 6:57 AM
View users profile

I just finished reading a post where the person buys shelves and has them cut to size. I found a 16" round disc that I bought for a big heavy cake.

Walk around the whole store and look for something to fill your needs. Cover it with whatever you like and there you go without too much waste or money.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: