skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Baby bump cake
katyrzinia 05/12/2012 6:33 PM
Have been given a picture of baby bump cake daughter's friend would like. It is only the bust and the baby bump covered in fondant with dots and a ribbon. Seems simple but I have been having problems with the "bump" in the baking. Used a pyrex bowl and a round cake pan. Will fit them together with frosting.
The problem is the bowl cake---cracks on the edges trying to get the center baked all the way through.
Is there a better way? Using cake mixes at this point. Have made the bump in 3 different sizes and still not happy. Any suggestions??????

katyrzinia
tlh 05/12/2012 8:34 PM
Do you have the sports ball pan? I made the baby bump with this pan and it worked great. HTH
gmoakes01 05/12/2012 9:49 PM
Or you can try putting a metal flower nail in the bottom of the bowl to help that deep area bake mora evenly.
BrizzO 05/13/2012 8:45 PM
Ask LRae 7 . she posted a pic of a nicely done one a couple days ago.
katyrzinia 05/13/2012 10:14 PM
I have heard of using the nail on the bottom of the pan. I am baking the cake in a round pyrex bowl and wonder if the nail is easy to extract then.

I do not have the sports ball pan just several different sizes of pyrex bowls. The problem also is making the baby bump "high" enough. So I thought of using the pyrex bowl with a regular cake pan (about another 2-3 inches high depending upon baking). The problem is still the amount of batter in the pyrex bowl so it gets baked completely.

Katyrzinia
katyrzinia 05/24/2012 5:32 PM
After making another attempt at the sizing of the "bump" and using the nail in the bottom of the pyrex bowl, I was able to get a decent form to decorate. I made a sample buttercream cake from the smaller sizes and the large one copying the picture I was given.
It was my first time working with fondant and I took both the buttercream and the fondant cakes to the shower.

katyrzinia
ccake 05/24/2012 7:27 PM
katyrzinia Nice cakes, I`m new here and i`m just looking around, And I`m trying to see how to post pic, So here it goes. I made a baby shower cake for my niece last month. (She has lost 3) So I was very happy to try and make her a cake, I was happy with the results,
But I got to say I was scared.
Attachments:
newbakermom 05/25/2012 1:20 AM
Wow, katyrzinia, those came out great! I really loved the fondant one!

Ccake, great job too!
atomicladie 05/25/2012 6:32 AM
How cute is that!!!
BooBear 05/25/2012 7:36 AM
katyrzinia, beautiful job on the cakes!!! I love the deep pink fondant!

ccake, beautiful cake!! I love that baby mold and use it every chance I get!
katyrzinia 05/26/2012 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone---people on the forums know how much work goes into a cake and can appreciate any effort.

ccake very nice cake too---loved the delicate decorations.

I used MMF recipe and had a bit of trouble with it being too thick but covered up my small tears with the dots.
Think I did not put enough liquid into the batch but will try the other fondant recipe next time with the added corn syrup and crisco.

gmoakes01 05/26/2012 1:22 PM
You both did great jobs on your cakes!
ginnyl 05/27/2012 9:49 PM
Fantastic cake from both...love them both.
ginny