skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Baby shower cake with sleeping baby and hightop sneakers
pattieX 02/19/2012 10:30 AM
Good morning fellow cakers!

I used my sleeping baby mold again for this cake and made gumpaste sneakers following this tutorial Converse shoe tutorial. Love them and can't wait to make more! I didn't add the laces because I didn't get the front exactly right and I was afraid of messing them up. Next time.

The cake design itself was a replication of the invitation - and it didn't have much to it. I'm glad I added the shoes and baby, because it would have been very plain without them.

Oh, and it's vanilla with vanilla BW Mock Shack. I picked up some high ratio shortening when I was at Sweet Wise in Nashville a couple of weeks ago to try out. Oh, my I have been amazed at the difference in the smoothness of my frosting. Incredible! Too expensive to buy there, but maybe I can find it elsewhere.

TFL and happy caking!

Pattie
cakedujour 02/19/2012 10:57 AM
Well done! The baby and sweet little shoes add so much to the cake!
gmoakes01 02/19/2012 11:01 AM
That's a pretty cake, the shoes and baby are great!
sweetgrandma 02/19/2012 2:18 PM
So cute!! Your letters are great too!!
berry good 02/20/2012 12:19 AM
Adorable cake, the shoes & baby are so sweet. The lettering & boarders are pretty terrific too!!!!
ginnyl 02/20/2012 6:00 AM
Just so lovely and the lettering is perfect.
ginny
pattieX 02/20/2012 8:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty proud of this simple little cake...mostly because I can see an improvement in my piping and writing. I still have a ways to go, but I know a year ago I would have been terrified to try to do those letters.
DessertDiva82 02/20/2012 11:56 AM
I love your lettering!