skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Need ideas for 90th birthday cake!
Created On Thursday July 14, 2011 2:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

childerbrand
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 2:10 PM

I'm pleading for ideas and input for a 90th birthday cake for a little lady that I call my "adopted" grandmother... or mamaw! My mother volunteered me for the job, which I didn't mind, but because mamaw loves to crochet, my mother wants some kind of cake with yard balls or needles or something on it. Being VERY inexperienced, the thought scares the daylights out of me! If you have photos, ideas, input of ANY kind, please please share them. Thank you very, very much for your time!

Chrystal

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 6:58 PM

Very simple...no need to pleade!

Make a sheet cake--size of your choice. Do a basic boarder. On the surface of the cake make a pair of knitting needles with wool coming off the ends of them which spells out/makes the message on the cake--"Happy 90th Birthday Mamaw!". String all the letters together like one long piece of wool. In one of the corners you can create the round ball of wool. You can roll the knitting needs out of fondant. The balls of wool can be made of fondant. The cake can be buttercream.

Also, google knitting cake and you will get lots of hits.

flickr.com/photos/mikewade/1696989447/

http://knitwhit.tumblr.com/post/4805945454/knittingcartoonist-gotyarn-another-awesome

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 7:02 PM
View users profile

Don't panic. Balls of yarn are easy to do. Roll some fondant into a ball the size you'd like. Roll some long skinny fondant snakes of the same color. Even better is if you have a clay gun. Then you can easily extrude a long thin rope. Wrap it around and around your fondant ball till it looks like a ball of yarn. Then you can form a little crochet hook from fondant. Let it dry and paint it with a bit of luster dust mixed with vodka or lemon juice. Voila!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 7:14 PM

This cake is very easy to recreate. Cake be fondant or buttercream covered.

http://www.sweet-fantasies.co.uk/wpimages/wp32e466a4_00.jpg

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 7:15 PM

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 7:16 PM

easier yet...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x0-JmTNfKa0/TL5rLp_YU0I/AAAAAAAAAHE/zyVnB5em_Og/s400/IMG_8398.JPG

Report Violation

Bottom

childerbrand
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 9:30 PM

Oh thank you soooo much! I googled knitting cake earlier today and didn't see either one of these... but I am pretty easily distracted! I ended up wandering into pictures of sweet sixteen cakes, which I have one of those coming up. The cake that is... my sixteenth birthday was sixteen years ago!!!! I love the second cake! Tomorrow I'm going to pull out the ton of yellow fondant I have stockpiled and start practicing. The ladies (and gentlemen, I'm sure) on this site are AWESOME! Always so positive and supportive. I'm so glad to be here! :-) Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: