skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Pipe/Flange Assembly Method....finally posting pics!
Created On Saturday June 11, 2011 2:09 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

cami5271
Posted: Tuesday August 09, 2011 9:35 PM
View users profile

Gisele...I get it! Same concept, just using a silver cake drum over the wood base! Great idea! I have also used 1/2" PVC (for smaller cakes), but usually stick with 3/4" if the cakes are larger/heavier...but 1/2" would probably be just fine! Glad it works for you also!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Tuesday November 01, 2011 11:35 AM

Cami- I hope you can help. I am going to attempt to make a Rapunzel tower cake for my daughter's birthday the end of January. I am doing some research now to see what it all entails and what I can start on.

I am very interested in doing your pipe/flange method, and I saw your tower in another post. I have many questions, as I have NEVER stacked a cake before.

I know that someone earlier in this post asked if you cut a hole in the cakes before they are threaded down the pipe. I was confused by your answer, b/c it seems like you said you used a cutter to cut a cirle. Do you just cut the fondant off and then thread over the pipe (covering the hole of course so no cake gets stuck down there)? Or do you "core" the cake? I can see this getting scary when a cake is covered in fondant and then you are messing with it.

As for the supports, (see I told you I was a newbie) you use foamcore underneath each tier, covered in some way, either with Press n Seal or Fancy Foil. Once the cake is on the board, and you have either 1/4 or 1/2 inch board, do you do a border around the bottom of the cake to cover it? Like using Ribbon or beads, etc? I am so sorry if these are silly questions, I just would not want the Board to show.

Do you have a seperate base underneath the bottom foamcore baord? Like wood or something stury to hold up the weight of the cake? I am planning on doing 2 tiers, then the tower, and the top of the tower, so I assume it would be very heavy.

As for the tower, I was going to try RKT around the pipe and then fondant. For the top of the tower, is that a 6 inch roound? Did you place this on foamcore as well and attach it to the Pipe?

I really appreciate any help you or anyone can give me. I was going to try and get the pipe/flange set-up assembled and then do a test drive on the cake within the next few weeks.

Thank so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday November 01, 2011 2:01 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Wednesday November 02, 2011 1:55 PM

Gonna bump this so it doesn't get lost and hopefully someone can chime in.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday November 02, 2011 2:49 PM
View users profile

Mbranko, I sent Cami a PM asking her to come over and check out your question. Since she is doing more wedding cakes now, she doesn't hang out in this forum very often.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Wednesday November 02, 2011 2:56 PM

Thanks so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

kmtmagoo
Posted: Wednesday November 02, 2011 5:40 PM

Very clever! If I ever get back to baking Ill have to try it. Still having problems with my hand!! I do miss it. My daughter is getting married in June and she wants me to make her wedding cake, grooms cake and caked pops!! I keep hoping for a miracle. The dr. cant figure out what it is. Alls I know is it hurts!!! But I still enjoy looking at all of the lovely cakes on this forum! Such talent!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cami5271
Posted: Thursday November 03, 2011 11:13 AM
View users profile

Mbranko24....I just logged on and saw your questions! So sorry I missed them earlier! I will try to answer all as best I can:

1) Yes, I core the center out of the cake. I primarily use buttercream on my cakes (rarely fondant), but if I thread a fondant-covered cake onto the pipe, I would probably just use the same circle cutter to cut a hole out of the fondant. This would not be a tricky thing to do, because another cake is going to sit on top of that layer hiding the cake anyways!

2) As far as the foamcore I use (1/2"), I only use borders if the cake requires them. If the customer does not choose a border (ribbon, etc), then I "over-ice" the cake to cover the 1/2" foamcore completely. This is very tricky to do with buttercream, but with practice (and Sharon Zambito's DVDs are a God-send), you can do it! If I'm covering the tiers with fondant, that 1/2" foamcore will show unless you cut the board a little smaller than the baked cake size....again, in Sharon Zambito's DVDs!

3) The bottom "main" cake board is always wood for me! Usually 1/2". I us inexpensive MDF and it works beautifully...plus, I always get the board back for reuse!

4) When you say "tower", I'm assuming you're referring to my most recent Rapunzel tower? If so, yes, the top tier was a 2-layer 6" round, placed on a 1/2" foamcore board. For this particular assembly my husband placed a PVC "cap" of sorts on top of the pipe, then attached a thin/round board to the top of the pipe cap with a bolt/nut, to make a platform that I could sit the top tier of the tower on top of. I used 2-way carpet tape to secure the tower to the platform.

I hope that helps answer your questions! Please let me know if you need further explanation! I'm happy to help!

Cammie

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Thursday November 03, 2011 11:58 AM

Cami-

Thank you SO Much!!

So, if I was foing fondant, I would just need to cut a fondant circle, and not actually core the cake? Sorry of this is a stupid question.

Yes, I am going to attempt the Rapunzel tower. I was toying with the idea of doing to top in using a cake dunny so I could get it as put together as possible, to save me time during assembly.

I am sure that I will be on in the future asking questions.

Report Violation

Bottom

cami5271
Posted: Thursday November 03, 2011 9:26 PM
View users profile

Yes, still core the cake regardless if using fondant or buttercream. NOW, to be honest, I don't always core them. If I'm feeling lazy, I just slide them down over the pipe (some cake/filling will be lodged in pipe), but who cares! It's just a "cleaner" assembly process if you core the cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

maureen03
Posted: Tuesday November 22, 2011 10:02 AM

Cami, I just want to say thank you for sharing this pipe/flange assembly method. It has been very helpful with my 3D cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Sunday November 27, 2011 11:13 AM

Bump up

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Saturday December 17, 2011 3:48 PM

Cami

Do you have any pics of the assembly process for the top tier? I am heading to the store as soon as the holidays are over to buy the correct items and I am confused about the nut/bolt used to support the top tier/cake.

Thanks!

Erin

Report Violation

Bottom

BTurpin
Posted: Thursday December 29, 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks again Cammie for the instructions. Just wanted to mention that I went an extra step with mine b/c I love my SPS system so much that I had my BF drill holes in the center of all of my SPS plates (where the little nub usually is) the same size as my PVC pipe and was still able to use my SPS system with the Pipe Flange system. Probably not necessary but it made me feel better I had to drive this cake an hour away and it didn't budge one bit!!

Snowflake Drape.jpg Snowflake Drape.jpg  (54 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Thursday December 29, 2011 10:10 AM

BTurpin- can you adjust the space/distance between the plates how you choose? I do not have the SPS but have seen it online.

I am going to do a rapunzrl tower and have a 12 inch and 8 inch on the bottom then the tower and a 6 inch dummy cake on top, so there would be spacing between the 8 inch cake and 6 inch topper of about a foot.

Report Violation

Bottom

BTurpin
Posted: Thursday December 29, 2011 10:13 AM

I believe the tallest "legs" for the sps that I have are around 9" - So I don't think they would work for what you need.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Thursday December 29, 2011 10:21 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!

Your cake is beautiful! I LOVE the draping. Do you mind me asking what Fondant you use?

Report Violation

Bottom

BTurpin
Posted: Thursday December 29, 2011 10:30 AM

I use Satin Ice Fondant

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Thursday May 24, 2012 5:28 PM
View users profile

Bump! Thanks again Cami...I will be using your method for a 4-tier wedding cake due on June 9th. I have the wedding cake plus a graduation cake to deliver the same day and it will really help on time constraints in between deliveries.

Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday June 10, 2012 10:26 AM
View users profile

Now that I've posted the story of my 3 tier retirement cake as a cautionary tale, I am bumping this so everyone can run out and get this done BEFORE you realize you need it. I will still probably assemble on site as much as possible, but when it isn't possible, the cake won't leave my house if it isn't on this system. Believe me when I say that carving boards and coring cakes cannot possibly be as hard as building the same cake twice. Thanks again Cami!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: