skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Army Man Cake
rockerweenie 05/08/2011 12:41 PM
One of the girls at work is tired of cakes from the local bakeries--"all they o is spray stuff on them and plop a toy on it." She would like an army man for her grandson--shaped like an army man. I don't have a pan shaped like a person but my friend recently gave me a bunch of items her mother had given her. There is a clown shaped cake pan--

How do I turn the clown into an army man? I'm thinking it can be done and I have some ideas--it's all in how I decorate it and I can trim the ruffle off but any ideas how to go about it?
gmoakes01 05/08/2011 12:53 PM
You could try Bunnywoman's rolled BC recipe - make 2 - 3 different colors for camo look, put little pieces of each randomly next to each other before rolling to get the camo look to cover his uniform and "helmet". I'll attach a picture of a hunting cake I did. the pieces were too big so they didn't give a real varied camo look - make your pieces smaller. Hope that helps some.
gisele
Attachments:
beckthewreck 05/08/2011 2:12 PM
If you google "Army man cake" some results pop up. You could use a star tip and pipe the camo, or you could do like gmoakes01 suggested. I did a camo cake once... here's my post
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=120757

I just piped the icing on the cake in various areas, then used a Viva paper towel to smooth it all after it had crusted. You could do that for the uniform and maybe add a gun for the man to hold.
HTH Becky
rockerweenie 05/08/2011 4:11 PM
I've never made rolled BC yet and I figured I'd do what you suggested, Becky. I think I'm more concerned with how am I going to turn the clown into the army man... I guess we'll have to see how it all turns out!

By the way, does rolled BC taste like regular BC?
rockerweenie 05/08/2011 4:26 PM
Here is a link to the clown pan I have... Don't do a Google search on clown cake pans, there are some creepy ones out there. (Not a fan of clowns... they scare me.)

http://www.keokuk.lib.ia.us/images/cakepans/clown/image
rockerweenie 05/16/2011 5:47 PM
Here he is! Very happy with it, glad it didn't look like the clown. Ran out of my peach icing for skin and when I mixed up some more, I messed it up but was out of white. :-( Oh well, the woman I made it for loved it. Everyone loved it. She said he grandson didn't want to eat it he liked it so much. :-) Job well done. I went old-school with star tip--I'm sorry, I love the way it looks on shaped cakes.
Attachments:
cakedujour 05/16/2011 5:49 PM
I salute you! You did a great job!
riverchild 05/16/2011 5:51 PM
He turn out very cute! You did a great job!