skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Racing Car or Fire Truck Cake Template
sweetpea1979 03/30/2011 6:22 AM
HELP! I've just been asked if I could do either a racing car or fire truck for a 3rd birthday party!!! I was thinking along the lines of doing a sheet cake and then cutting out the shape...would anyone know where I could get either template?!!! Any help of suggestions would be great ;...thanks :(
cakedujour 03/30/2011 7:32 AM
A coloring book! You can enlarge the picture if necessary. They also work well for FBCT, color flow, etc.
cakedujour 03/30/2011 7:34 AM
You can also google coloring pages images on google. For instance, you would google - fire truck coloring pages- and click on images.
sweetpea1979 03/30/2011 9:47 AM
ah thanks cakedujour - couldn't think of that this morning
cakesbychrystal 03/30/2011 1:07 PM
Doesn't Wilton sell a race car pan and a fire truck pan? No need to carve...no wasted cake.
sweetpea1979 03/30/2011 1:31 PM
ah they do - but i'm in ireland and it'll take a week to get one and i need it for early next week :( late request = but i'll invest in one for sure!!! thanks cakesbycrystal
sweetpea1979 04/06/2011 12:56 PM
i've a quick question re coloring....obviously with the fire truck being red i need to color my buttercream accordingly ;) i have the gel colors but i did a red and white themed cake a few weeks back and it seemed to take loads of coloring to get the right shade...is there a way to cut this down? ie if making say black colored icing, put a bit of cocoa powder in first to have the brown background...would this work with red? or do i just keep adding until i get the right color? at the moment my buttercream is pretty pale looking, so thinking i may get away with using a good bit less than first time around....any help would be great as i've to have the cake ready for tomorrow afternoon....thank you so much
lyndsayscott7 04/07/2011 2:14 PM
I color my buttercream pink first and then add red. It creates a better red.

I also use FlowPaste. That stuff works great! It's highly concentrated, so if there is anyway you can get your hands on a bottle of that, it would be awesome Good luck!
sweetpea1979 04/08/2011 3:28 AM
thanks lyndsayscott7 appreciate that - will see what i can find! I've managed to get the firetruck done, here is the pic. it's by no means 100% but for a first attempt I think its not too bad...the only thing that is annoying me is this morning the white frosting is turning a shade of pink from the red underneath...is there anyway of stopping this? I piped the with writing with white buttercream onto the red buttercream...I take it that RI would have been a better option? It's just a pain having to have a batch of RI just for writing the message...any ideas would be great! Thanks...
sweetpea1979 04/08/2011 3:31 AM
sorry can't figure out how to attach pic at the moment...bare with me :-o