skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cheetah Print Cake
Created On Wednesday March 23, 2011 11:11 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

CakeBakingFool
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 11:11 AM

I am going to be making a cake this evening where I need to put cheetah print on it. I am covering the cake in a light tan fondant and I was going to paint the cheetah spots on there. I was going to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to do this without it looking terrible. I watched a video where they used luster dust and mixed it with a little vodka, will that work?
Thanks!!

Report Violation

Bottom

DeeCakesUK
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 11:41 AM

Attached is a photo of the cake I made - its a leopard print - not sure if thats the same as cheetah?!

I mixed whole mixture of color pastes I had to make black, like purple, blue and green!

Mixed it with some vodka and rolled out a spare bit of fondant and tried it out on it first.

I made some home-made stampers in varying 'c' shapes out of styrofoam - a bit like potato printing!

And it turned out brill. I then painted on the yellow paint and then brushed each yellow dot with gold glitter.

Only downside to using vodka that I found, was that even after 24hrs it was still wet! And we could taste the vodka!

I'm making another leopard print cake for monday - but im going to use lemon juice instead.

leopard print bex cake1.jpg leopard print bex cake1.jpg  (124 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 1:12 PM

Dee....that's a wonderful cake........

When you said you would use lemon juice, did you mean lemon extract? That's what most of us use because the quick evaporation of the alcohol lets it dry fast.

Report Violation

Bottom

CakeBakingFool
Posted: Wednesday March 23, 2011 3:07 PM

Thanks, Dee!! Your cake was beautiful and your tips really helped me out. I have lemon juice at home, maybe I will try that instead of the vodka. Think I will test it out both ways on a spare piece of fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

DeeCakesUK
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 5:49 AM

I was planning on using just lemon juice - would this work too?

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 7:35 AM

Ditto sweetgrandma on the alcohol evaporating quickly, hence the reason for using an extract or using vodka! Clear vanilla is perfect if you are leery of leftover vodka taste.

I imagine you could use lemon juice, but the sticky factor is something to take into consideration when painting on fondant. But I am sure it can be done...carefully!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 7:36 AM

I just realized my avatar pic is an example of using vodka with luster dust (on the Isabella letters) and vodka with wilton gels (painted the windows and the wooden doors on white gumpaste.)

Report Violation

Bottom

DeeCakesUK
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 7:52 AM

When I used the vodka the inky look was still wet after 24 hrs! how long before it dries? It cant be that quick drying!

I'm making my leopard print cake again on sunday for collection monday pm.

And i'm not keen on the vodka taste - as kids are going to be eating it too!

shall I buy some rejuvinating spirit? or just buy some lemon extract whilst Im in the supermarket later on?

Unsure about the lemon juice now - dont want it to be sticky!

Report Violation

Bottom

HeyWife
Posted: Thursday March 24, 2011 11:36 PM

Dee, do you have a cake supplier nearby where you can get airbrush color? That's what I used for a leopard print tier I did on my daughter's b-day cake. It dried overnight. Attached is a pic.

JoJo 161.jpg JoJo 161.jpg  (133 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

DeeCakesUK
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 6:13 AM

Hey Wife: unfortunately I cant afford an airbrush machine yet ! (just started out!)

I'll get some rejuvinating spirit.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Friday March 25, 2011 9:42 AM

Oh wow, my vodka paint dried very quickly! It was January and not humid and I painted on gumpaste for the windows and fondant for the door. The fondant piece did take longer to dry, but only hours...not days. Not sure why yours took longer. :( I used about one tablespoon of vodka per color and still had left overs. A little went a long way for me. I didn't intend for the gumpaste parts to be eaten (or the door!) so I hear what you are saying about serving the kids.

Not sure what rejuvinating spirit is, but if it's tasteless that should work. Can you get clear vanilla?

Report Violation

Bottom

HeyWife
Posted: Saturday March 26, 2011 12:34 AM

Dee, I don't have an airbrush either. I use the colors to paint with a brush. That's how I did the leopard print.

Report Violation

Bottom

DeeCakesUK
Posted: Saturday March 26, 2011 10:13 AM

Right ive spoken to the cake people at the cake decor shop I theyve told me its because i used paste colours rather than dry powder color!

I'll try the black powder and vodka tomorow and let you know!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: