skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to make fondant shiny like chrome?
Created On Friday October 30, 2009 10:08 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Peachygirl1
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 10:08 AM
View users profile

Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a "paint" I could buy?

Report Violation

Bottom

chefjonms
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 12:22 PM
View users profile

I've seen the Cake Boss steam his fondant and it makes it shine. i think he uses one of those steamers like you would steam your clothes or drapes.

Report Violation

Bottom

chefjonms
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 12:29 PM
View users profile

Also if you look on this forum for the Eyeball cake you will see that juanhulio says he used fondant and steamed it to make it shiney Says he hot it at Target for $32

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 1:04 PM

I think Peachygirl is asking for a "shiny like chrome" effect. I am not sure but I believe some use luster dust. Bump!

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 3:52 PM
View users profile

I do have a steamer. But was really wanting it to look like chrome. Like a um....car bumper? I checked on CC and saw where some used luster dust and silver petal dust? Anybody know what the difference is?

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 4:35 PM
View users profile

Peachy, you paint it with luster or petal dust and then stem it. Pour a small amunt of vodka into a small container and add you siler luster/pertal dust and dissolve into the vodka. Then you paint your fondant or gumpaste piece. After the paint dried, steam it just a second or two. That will make the color intense and shiny.

Can use clear vanilla if your like, but get better color with clear "alcohol." It is also permissible to use clear vanila, add a small amoujt of vodka, and then your petal/luster dust to paint.

I use artist brushes with both my fondant/fumpaste and candy pieces. Like flat ones for what you're describing.

Hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 4:53 PM
View users profile

bassettscreek so petal dust and luster dust are the same? I don't have any vodka, but will run up and get a single serve or whatever they call them little bottles at the checkout. Wonder if it would help if my fondant was grey before painting or do you think I should just use white? Thanks for the instructions. I sure do appreciate it. This is for a cake for next weekend, but want to kinda do the fondant pieces ahead to save some time. AND for the practice. he he

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: