skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Two layer 13x9 cake?
Created On Wednesday September 23, 2009 9:23 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ladyluck84
Posted: Wednesday September 23, 2009 9:23 AM

My sister wants a two layer 13x9 cake for her birthday and I'm going to make it. I wanted to know if I should use 1 1/2 boxes of cake mix or 2 boxes of cake mix. I don't want the cake to come up too high, but I want some height. Also, how many cans if icing will I need? Any answers will be helpful!

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Wednesday September 23, 2009 10:16 AM

How many cake mixes do you usually use for this size cake?
I use 1 1/2 cake mixes for my 9x13 cakes. If you didn't want a high cake, I would probably use 2 mixes.

I don't use the canned icing, so I'm not certain on how many cans. If you were making your own, I would start with a double batch of icing.
This is all guessing on my part. I absolutely hate to run out of icing. In the book that I have, it says you will need 6 cups of icing to ice and decorate a 2 layer, 9x13 cake. This will also depend on the amount of decorating that is involved.

Report Violation

Bottom

adeline
Posted: Wednesday September 23, 2009 10:58 AM

the wilton chart says 7 cups of batter for a 9x13 pan for a 2 inch high cake and 6 cups of icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday September 23, 2009 12:19 PM

I have made a double layer 9x13 and I used 2 box mixes. I found that when I stacked them (bottom to bottom) that I had to fill in the gap with quite a bit of icing to make it look flush, especially on the corners.

I would buy 4 cans of icing and plan on using 2 for sure and maybe most of #3. That was without me doing any pipe work or tons of decorating on top!

Report Violation

Bottom

MsBelinda
Posted: Wednesday September 23, 2009 4:14 PM

Hey, I made two layer 9x13 cakes for the extra cake for a wedding. The bride's mother wanted each guest to have a nice slice of cake. I measured the batter the batter and put 7 cups. The layers were so nice. I had really good luck when I filled and frosted the cakes. They didn't require a lot of frosting to fill in gaps on corners. If you follow Wilton's instructions, you will have a 4 inch high cake. It really looks nice when sliced. I personally think it's worth the extra effort if you're going to mess with two layers.

Good Luck to ya.
MsBeinda

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: