skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Ideas for a 17 year old's cake???
misschriss 08/10/2009 3:16 PM
Hello all,

I have an order for a 17 year old Girl's B'day Cake. The character pans I see in store are sort of childish, and a regular sheet cake with flowers will be too plain for a teen. I'm using the sheet cake idea as a last resort. All ideas will be appreciated. Any ideas on what a teenage girl may love on a cake???
Jeanne G 08/10/2009 3:27 PM
Do you know her interests? Is she tailored or frilly in her tastes? Would she consider a cake with flowers sophisticated and be flattered? Is she in to sports? Does she have a beloved pet? Ride horses?

True, the Elmo pan wouldn't be suitable, but the Topsy Turvy pan might be fun. Or the Dancing Daisy.
cakedujour 08/10/2009 4:03 PM
An ipod or cell phone, maybe. You could do the message as a text message.
misschriss 08/10/2009 4:51 PM
Thanks for your ideas! Her mom says she loves the color pink. Everytime I see her she's on her Blackberry. Mom says she doesn't know of any other favs besides hot pink. She's not into sports, but is not a frilly girly girl. I thought about pink polka dots. I like the text message idea! How would I do that! Any more suggestions??
hpjmom 08/10/2009 9:33 PM
Did you see this post by dnrtull? The colors could be changed. I think it's a great teenage girl's cake.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=125831

Also, zebra print is very popular right now & goes great with hot pink. If do an advanced search for "zebra", you'll see lots of cakes.
cakedujour 08/10/2009 9:46 PM
When my daughter comes home I'll ask her if there is some texting abbreviation for Happy Birthday or something similar and appropriate. I guess part of the cake would be the keyboard and part would be the message screen. To resemble a blackberry of course. My phone is not very techy but I'm sure that a quick google would reveal what a blackberry looks like. They come in some sort of pink color, don't they? Or don't they? My age is showing!!!
mamajaejae 08/11/2009 12:24 AM
I did this one for twin girls....all I was told was the color blue and sports.
So this is what I did...added the IPOD and cell phone and put some little flowers to make it girlish.
This was done with the 11x15 pan.
Attachments:
misschriss 08/11/2009 9:15 AM
cute cake! I pulled a pic of a Blackberry...so many details!
cakedujour 08/11/2009 5:36 PM
Pick and choose which ones would be most essential on your cake. She'll get the idea and love the texted cake. I still have to check with my daughter for wording for you and what a realistic text message would look like.