skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help with buttercream fall leaves
Created On Monday July 13, 2009 7:00 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ocnprknatv
Posted: Monday July 13, 2009 7:00 AM

I have a cake coming up this fall where I have to make fall colored leaves...buttercream, and I need a LOT. I am not really great at these as a decorational piece. I usually can maneuver a leaf around flowers fine, but to make it where the leaves are part of the focal point, I'm nervous.

Anyone have some good ideas, suggestions, color choices, etc...for me??

Thanks in advance!~

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday July 13, 2009 7:28 AM

Fall colors would be reds, browns & yellows primarily.

How large are the leaves going to be ?

Report Violation

Bottom

ocnprknatv
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 6:18 AM

The sent me a picture of a three tiered cake...with the leaves "cascading" down the cake, and sort of like, they just fell from a tree onto the cake. The colors are primarily reds, browns and yellows yes..and the size varies...some are smaller, some larger...smaller on top with the smaller tier...growing bigger with the largest on the bottom.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 6:59 AM

I don't know what the picture looks like, but from how you are explaining it, are you sure that the leaves are in bc?? Sounds to me like they would most likely be in fondant for the full effect of what you're needing.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 7:02 AM

Are the leaves in rolled buttercream?

I'm just thinking that even with the largest size leaf tip, the leaves aren't going to be that large, which would mean A LOT of work !!

Not sure what size cake you're going to be doing either, as you haven't said

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 7:13 AM

I agree Marie...or they could possibly be chocolate??

ocnp..a picture would help us out if you could post one.

Report Violation

Bottom

ocnprknatv
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 7:21 AM

The picture they sent me has fondant or gumpaste leaves on it. They don't want either, and I don't do fondant. I only do buttercream, which is what the couple wants the leaves made from.

It's going to be a three tiered, stacked cake...to feed 85 I believe.

I've never worked with rolled buttercream either, so perhaps that's a good place to start...to see if I can get the effect we are looking for.

The cake picture they sent me is more for reference...they'd like it to be more "real looking" and cascading with leaves.

I can't seem to paste it here, the picture, if you want to see it, go to http://www.cerratos.com/cakes/gallery.php?type=2 and look at picture W48.

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 7:28 AM
View users profile

I don't know about you guys, but I get very irked when someone shows me a fondant cake (with tricky decos) and wants it done in buttercream. I like working with both, but there are some things that you can do in one material and not the other. Sewing patterns list recommended fabrics and unsuitable fabrics for that particular design. Oh, that there was a similar disclaimer for cakes!

Report Violation

Bottom

ocnprknatv
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 7:38 AM

I know dottie...and I agree...problem for me is that I don't do fondant..lol...so.............that leaves (no pun intended) me with my famous buttercream. It's what I'm known for around my part of the world.

And usually...............I can make anything from buttercream look like it's made smooth and out of fondant.

I'm just a cake snob, and I don't like fondant, so those that know me and my work, know they will get a cake that will be made entirely of cake, and entirely of buttercream frosting...whether it be chocolate or regular buttercream...it won't be fondant.

The difference for me, being the cake snob that I am, is that I know my customer or family or friends, are going to be able to eat the entire cake.

I did a nice tulip cake earlier this year, and had to make those tulips out of gumpaste...and while they looked pretty.......ya'all would break a tooth eating it. That is not cake to me.

Seems though, because I am so picky about what I can and cannot do, I always get these sorts of orders..lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 11:36 AM

I just took a look at the cake they've given you to work from as inspiration.

Those leaves are definately made out of fondant or gumpaste - if you want to do them that size, there's a cookie cutter that Wilton does, that is in that shape - it could work - you would need to overlap the leaves as they cascade down the cake

I do have to agree that there's nothign very realistic about the way they are places on the cake for falling. What about doing a combo of bc & fondant - the fondant wld give the 3-d effect of the leaves

Report Violation

Bottom

mal_gal
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 8:43 AM

I don't know if you've already made the fall leaves cakes and I'm pretty new to decorating, but could you use a leaf cookie cutter as a template or stencil and pipe in the buttercream, let it harden, and then place the leaf on the cake? Or use a leaf cookie cutter and trace it several times onto wax paper (with a Food writer or something not harmful to eat since it's touching the cutter) so you have a whole sheet of templates. Turn over the wax paper so the traced lines are facing down (you can see them through the paper) and pipe on the buttercream, let it harden, and then apply the leaves to the cake? Sorry, I don't know if this makes sense and i'm not sure you could do it this way as I'm a rookie, but it might could work. You might could try it this way as a buttercream transfer. Just suggestions!

Here's a link to one of Wilton's oak leaf cookie cutters...They have lots of different types to choose from though. Hope this is helpful!

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310C82-475A-BAC0-5A9D6715D81E0C74&killnav=1

Report Violation

Bottom

td6262
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 10:26 AM

Gumpaste is definately unedible. I took at look at the picture too. (see attached) You could try to use color flow if you don't want to use fondant. With the color flow you could swirl the colors for a natural effect. Good Luck.

large48.jpg large48.jpg  (17 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

td6262
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 10:42 AM

I did a little research. I found this picture, which in my opinion is more of a cascading look of leaves. It is done with fondant but, rolled buttercream would work. It would also allow you to stay true to your buttercream purist goal.

Squareleaves.jpg Squareleaves.jpg  (19 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

power05
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 7:31 PM

So, does anyone have any advice on how to do buttercream oak leaves? I have seen them done and would love to know how to do it. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 9:07 PM

I just posted a sheetcake with some buttercream fall leaves in the Seasonal forum. Mine aren't very big, but could be done with a bigger tip.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=128064

Report Violation

Bottom

power05
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 9:41 PM

Thanks Jeanne!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: