skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: What size cake(s) to feed around 40 people?
Created On Friday February 27, 2009 8:05 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

alymedina
Posted: Wednesday February 25, 2009 3:33 PM

My son is turning one next month, and I am going to be making his birthday cake. Since I'm fairly new to fondant and have only ever covered round cakes in fondant, I'm thinking about going with a round cake. I just don't know if I could get away with one 10'' (I don't really think so), or if I should stack an 8'' on top.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this question has been asked before, I'm new here!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday February 26, 2009 8:52 AM

This question (or one like it) is probably the most frequently asked on these forums. There is a very helpful chart (series of charts, really) that helps answer such questions, right on this site. Look here:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

You are right that a 10" round won't be enough for 40 servings, and that 10" with an 8" would be plenty. Of course, it depends a lot on who is being served -- if some of your guests are toddlers you probably would cut their slices smaller, and if some are teenagers you might need extra! But in general, the Wilton charts are a very good guide.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Thursday February 26, 2009 3:49 PM

I'd either do a 10" with a 6" on top or a 12". The 8" on top will be plenty of cake & give you about 45 servings, so if that's the pan you have, do that.

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
Posted: Friday February 27, 2009 8:05 AM
View users profile

You might keep in mind that when you have tiers on a cake that it helps to have them about 4 inches different in size. It would give you 2 inches on either side of the cake to have a border and keep it looking nice.
If you do a 10 and 8 inch, you will only have 1 inch of cake around the bottom of the top tier, and you'll probably want a border on the top of the 10" and on the bottom of the 8". It could end up looking crowded.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: