skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Store-Bought Fondant Questions
Created On Thursday May 01, 2008 10:00 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

MaryL.
Posted: Tuesday April 29, 2008 3:30 PM

Hi,
I don't comment nearly as often as I should, but I love looking at everyone's wonderful creations. So much talent! I've learned a lot.

I've started experiementing a little with fondant. I was wondering what the shelf-life of store-bought fondant is after it's been opened. I don't make cakes too often (maybe once a month), and it would be nice to have a few colors available for accents, etc. I'm not sure if a tub would still be ok to use a month later on another cake if it's already been opened. Does anyone know if store-bought gumpaste would last longer? Any storage tips/dos/don'ts? Tips on brands?

Thanks a lot, I really enjoy admiring everyone's cakes, cookies, and cupcakes.
Mary

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Wednesday April 30, 2008 8:50 AM

I have used both fondant and gumpaste for a while after opening. As long as you store it properly, it shouldn't dry out. Satin Ice fondant says that it's good for a year as long as it's stored air tight and out of the light. I usually double plastic bag mine (at least two bags) with as much air pressed out as I can. Sometimes, I will saran wrap fondant and gumpaste, then double bag it after that, just to be sure. Both will last a long time that way.

Report Violation

Bottom

donnaes
Posted: Wednesday April 30, 2008 9:36 AM

Fondant should be ok after a month. Fondant and gum paste are not interchangeable. When fondant dries, it's still a little bit pliable compared to gum paste, which is hard as a rock when it dries. Gum paste should also be fine after a month as long as it is kept in a tightly closed container. I've used gum paste several months after opening it.

For both fondant and gum paste, keep them in tightly sealed containers. I have successfully stored fondant in the refrigerator when tightly double-wrapped in plastic wrap, then placed in a zip close plastic bag. I always press as much air out of the bag as I can as I close the top and I let the fondant come to room temperature, still in the closed bag, before I try to use it.

As far as brands go, I'm partial to Satin Ice. If I have time, I like to make my own marshmallow fondant - it's very easy. bunnywoman has an excellent recipe on this forum.

Report Violation

Bottom

MaryL.
Posted: Wednesday April 30, 2008 9:42 AM

Thanks...I didn't want to spend the money to use a tiny bit of it and then not be able to use the rest later. This will revolutionize my cake making, ha ha!

Any opinions on the taste of Satin Ice verses other brands of pre-made fondant.

Thanks again,
Mary

Report Violation

Bottom

donnaes
Posted: Thursday May 01, 2008 10:00 AM

I've only tried Wilton and Satin Ice. There's no comparison. Satin Ice tastes great. When several friends tried Satin Ice, they preferred its taste to their own marshmallow fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: