skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: how to avoid cake crumbling when cut.
Milknhoney 04/15/2008 4:20 PM
I bake lots of cakes and recently my friend told me that when they cut into the cake I baked, it would just crumble and not stay in shape. They really liked the cake, it was moist but how can I avoid it from crumbling? I use box cakes for all my cakes and I do add 1/2 packet of dream whip to every recipe. I would hate to have my cakes be too dry. I also always freeze my cakes before frosting them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 04/15/2008 4:20 PM by Moderator

Jeanne G 04/16/2008 9:22 AM
Skip the dream whip and see how that goes.
jouj 04/16/2008 9:24 AM
I'm sorry, I can't help, but I have the same problem with crumbling cakes, and I also need some advice. I make my cakes from scratch, and everybody loves my recipe, so I don't want to change it, but I hate it when it crumbles, and I can NEVER use it for carving!!
Help please.

Edited: 04/16/2008 9:24 AM by Moderator

melgarmania 04/17/2008 10:24 AM
You could keep the cake in the fridge, cold cakes cut better, or maybe they need to use a better knife.
baking4tre 04/18/2008 9:04 AM
I am sorry, I know this is about crumbs, but what is dream whip??
tara

Edited: 04/18/2008 9:04 AM by Moderator

rosascakes 04/18/2008 9:05 AM
I believe the knife used to slice or cut the cake has a lot to do. I use a sharp smooth edge knife and not the one with the serrated edge. Even when carving cakes and I don't have a problem. Try it..this could be the problem.

Edited: 04/18/2008 9:05 AM by Moderator

kassie73 04/21/2008 10:36 AM
If I am making a box cake I add a small packet of jello instant pudding powder mix and an extra egg (4 instead of 3) . It becomes a denser cake that holds up better and the pudding keeps it moist. Hope that helps.
Milknhoney 06/26/2008 3:49 PM
Thanks so much for your advise... I have sinse used the 4 eggs only for the French vanilla box cake and it definitely helps. I did try the pudding but it left lumps in the cake and I was horrified! So I still use my dream whip with all my cake mixes and cakes from scratch and now I definitely use the 4 eggs and it makes a big difference!
dream whip is a type of whipping cream which is like using pudding in the mix when making a box cake. I make carrot cake, Italian cream cake and Tres Leches cakes from scratch and always add at least a tablespoon to my recipe. People always rave about my cakes being very moist! Dream whip is sold in a box and there are 4 packets to a box. I usually get mine at Wallmart in the baking isle.
May I suggest you add more flour to your recipe or also an extra egg, this will not take away from the moistness of the cake but it will make it of firmer texture and better to cut.