skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Rice Krispie's Airsoft Rifle Cake - PICTURES
Created On Tuesday April 15, 2008 4:15 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mommyto5
Posted: Thursday April 10, 2008 9:14 AM

Hi everyone!

I always struggle to find ideas for boys cakes, so I wanted to post this in case it will help someone in the future.

My son had an "airsoft" birthday party and wanted me to make a cake that looked like his airsoft rifle. I ended up making the rifle out of Rice Krispies and covering it with fondant. Then, I sprayed it with my airbrush. It was my first "Rice Krispie" creation and I was pretty nervous about it. I'm not happy with the barrel of the rifle, but the rest is ok. I'll definitely use them again, but, I will do some things differently next time. Oh, I almost forgot...the bb's are edible "pearls."

Thanks for looking!

AirsoftRifle2.JPG AirsoftRifle2.JPG  (142 KB)
AirsoftRifle4.JPG AirsoftRifle4.JPG  (129 KB)
AirsoftRifle5.JPG AirsoftRifle5.JPG  (140 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

grammasue
Posted: Thursday April 10, 2008 4:13 PM

Looks fantastic!! I like working with rice krispies, don't you! You did a great job - I'm sure your son was thrilled!

Report Violation

Bottom

babycakesII
Posted: Thursday April 10, 2008 4:15 PM

Good job. Really realistic looking. How long did it take and what is under the rifle?

Sammy

Report Violation

Bottom

jmj728
Posted: Friday April 11, 2008 8:40 AM

Wow, what a great job!! I just showed my son and he wants me to do that for him too!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbyjulie2
Posted: Friday April 11, 2008 8:48 AM

That is a great cake...

I have not used rice krispies yet, I plan on to in the very near future . Is there any tricks or anything I should know about using rice krispies?

Report Violation

Bottom

Beckylovescake
Posted: Friday April 11, 2008 8:58 AM

WOW!! That looks like a lot of work!! GREAT JOB!! Becky

Report Violation

Bottom

chachasep
Posted: Friday April 11, 2008 9:00 AM

Good Job!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Friday April 11, 2008 3:47 PM

Great cake! One question--when you use Rice Krispies, do you just use the regular recipe that's on the box or is there a special recipe? My Rice Krispies are always really sticky when I first make them.

Report Violation

Bottom

mommyto5
Posted: Monday April 14, 2008 11:25 AM

Thank you everyone!!!

BabycakesII: Believe it or not, the cake didn't take overly long. I made the rifle the night before the party. I'd say, after making the Rice Krispies, the rifle took a total of 1 1/2 hours. I put a dowel rod into the barrel as an afterthought, after I noticed it was going to be too flimsy...so I'm not counting the time that mistake took!!

CakesbyJulie2 & hpjmom: As far as the Rice Krispies go, you just use the recipe on the box. I got myself all nervous because I was afraid they'd harden up too quickly. But, they were actually very workable for much longer than I thought they'd be. I definitely recommend spraying Pam on your hands to keep the Rice Krispies from sticking to your hands. (ask me how I know!!) Also, you can wait a few minutes after dumping them out of the pan before working with them. I just dumped them onto waxed paper, and left them in one big pile. I noticed they were easier to work with (less sticky!) after they cooled for several minutes. I kept what I wasn't working with, in a container to keep them from setting up too quickly. And, that seemed to help. When I was finished, I spread out what was left and, within a few minutes, we all had a little snack!!

I hope that answers your questions. If not, just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbyjulie2
Posted: Tuesday April 15, 2008 9:08 AM

Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

mommyto5
Posted: Tuesday April 15, 2008 4:15 PM

Cakesbyjulie2: You're very welcome!! I hope that helps.

Sammy, I just noticed your other question about what's under the rifle. I made two 12X12 cakes, then cut them each in half. I used three of the halves, placing them end to end. Then, iced them all together. The entire cake is sitting on a piece of plywood, covered in camo fabric, topped with a piece of plexiglass. It took two of us to carry this one!! It was HUGE!

Report Violation

Bottom

infinitecreations713
Posted: Wednesday November 07, 2012 2:26 PM

Hi there Mommyto5, I was wondering if you have step-by-step instructions on how to make this rifle cake? This is my first time making this and I want to challenge myself .

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Wednesday November 07, 2012 2:36 PM
View users profile

My nephew would really like this cake -- but his birthday falls near Easter and I don't think his mother would want a rifle cake for the Easter get together, which is when we usually celebrate his birthday. The cake is awesome, you did a great job.

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Wednesday November 07, 2012 5:57 PM
View users profile

Welcome!
The original thread was from over 4 yrs ago. I don't think the original poster is still active. My advice would be to just get your hands into it and create your best replica of the rifle (I would need to have one in front of me to figure it out ) the cake itself is several sheet cakes iced together.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: