skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Jello in cake mix
Created On Friday February 01, 2008 8:44 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

kerik
Posted: Wednesday January 30, 2008 1:56 PM

Hi,
Has anyone ever used dry jello in a cake mix to add flavor and color? Any suggestions and advice would help. I don't even know if it's possible but I'd like to try it. In the past I have done a "poke" cake with jello, but that's not what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!
Keri

Report Violation

Bottom

topofthehill
Posted: Thursday January 31, 2008 10:55 AM

When I was a teenager my brother and I "invented" jello cake. We'd make a regular recipe for yellow cake only cut back on the sugar some and then add whatever flavor jello we wanted. Not sure how this works in a cake mix, but with a scratch cake it works just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tootall

I have a key lime cake that uses lime jello in a lemon cake mix I don't know how it would work in all cakes, but I can post the recipe if you'd like to see what all is in it. It's yummy!

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom

I use strawberry jello in my strawberry cake. It's a recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor, by Anne Byrn. And I've used pineapple jello in a pineapple cake. Using jello changes the texture just a little, with the added gelatin & sugar. The recipes I used had added sugar, & the jello took the place of some or all of the sugar called for.

If I were to try it on my own, I'd probably use one of those recipes & change the mixes/jellos to another flavor.

If you don't have the book, you can check it out from the library or purchase it at any bookstores.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G

In "Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbaook," the basic recipe for adding gelatin is to use a 4-serving size package of regular (not sugar-free) and measure out 3 Tablespoons to add to white cake mix batter, reserving the remainder to flavor whipped topping for frosting the cake. If you don't want to use some in your frosting I'll bet it would be fine to add the entire package.

There is no other change to ingredients or how you mix the cake -- just add the dry gelatin mix.

An interesting side note is the reproduction of an ad with this recipe, from 1951!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnymom
Posted: Thursday January 31, 2008 11:58 AM

Yes, we use strawberry jello in my great grandmother's strawberry cake recipe. It's a white box cake with strawberry jello and fresh strawberries. It works out great.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Thursday January 31, 2008 12:02 PM

I have never used Jello except for the "poke" cake.
I have used instant pudding thanks to the following recipe from prterrell on this forum. For St Patrick's Day I always make a green colored cake and I am planning on using a French Vanilla cake mix with pistacio (spell?) pudding.

1 Box Cake Mix
1 box (4 serving size) regular (not sugar free) instant pudding mix
Number of eggs called for on cake box + 1
Double the amount of oil called for on cake box
1 cup water (use lemonade if making a lemon cake)

Beat the eggs to mix together the whites and yolks
Slowly beat in the oil
Mix in the pudding mix
Add 1/2 of the cake mix and 1/2 of the water, mix until combined
Add rest of cake mix and rest of water, mix until combined
Beat on high for 3 minutes

Bake at 350 degrees, may take 45 to 50 minutes to bake, depending on size of pan, start checking for doneness at 30 minutes.

The above amounts will make 1 quarter sheet (9x13) or 1 two or three layer 8" or 9" round cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

kerik
Posted: Thursday January 31, 2008 4:14 PM

Thank you all for your quick response! Many different ideas! Tootall, I'd love to have the recipe, please post when you got a minute! Thanks again!
Keri

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbyjulie2
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 8:44 AM

To make different color cakes I have used food coloring. I recently made a birthday cake with one layer yellow the other blue told no one about it so when they cut into the cake there the colors were. You have to start with a basic white cake though.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Life Celebrations < REFRESH >
Navigation: