skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Large cakes!
Created On Sunday October 27, 2013 1:09 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

thecakediva40
Posted: Sunday October 27, 2013 1:09 AM

I read here that the best way to handle a large layer is to freeze it. Are you placing it on a cake board then freezing it? Or how do you keep from splitting it? Thanks for all responses! :-)
Sorry, I am sure you may have answered this ?? Before, but don't remember reading it.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday October 27, 2013 11:58 AM
View users profile

Here's what I do: Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15-20min., slice off the dome, using the edge of the pan as your guide, put 2 pieces of wax paper on top, then a cake cardboard and flip it over. Double wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Yes, freezing makes it so much easier to handle the layers when putting them together

Report Violation

Bottom

heartsnsync
Posted: Sunday October 27, 2013 5:38 PM

Okay, for me, I do not bake 2" high layers for any cake over 12" in diameter. I found it difficult to torte and flip 1" high layers that are larger than the 12" without sometimes cracking it or having trouble manipulating it into place. You could freeze them but cutting frozen or semi-frozen cake is its own battle.

So what I do is bake four separate cake layers where the cake once leveled is at my 1" height. I make sure to use parchment in each pan and keep it on while it is cooling. I transfer also place each on its own separate cardboard once they are cool and I wrap them. I let them settle for about six hours (this makes a difference in sturdiness of the cake) before I level them. I usually wait to level until I am going to fill and stack the four cake layers. When placing the layers on, the first one is pan side down (not the leveled side) then the others are all flipped pan side up. With the parchment still in place they are more easily manipulated into place if they did not make it to the correct location when first flipped into place. Remove the parchment once in correct placement, dam and fill, and then do the next layer.

I know my method makes for more cake scraps than the torting method. But for me, the waste and extra cost is well worth it for piece of mind.

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Sunday October 27, 2013 8:11 PM

Thanks ladies, I got it!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: