skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Flame Calla Lily Wedding Cake
Created On Saturday October 13, 2012 3:11 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

heartsnsync
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 3:11 PM

The bride's bouquet were flame calla lilies and brick red roses and she wished for her cake to be a copy of her flowers. The middle tier is covered in a heart scroll pattern with edible pearls and fondant pearls at the bottom border. The cakes were from top to bottom, butter pecan filled with butter pecan butter cream, pumpkin pie cake filled with cinnamon whipped cream, and apple pie cake which is an apple spice cake filled with cinnamon whipped cream and apple pie filling.

Flame Calla Lily Wedding 1.JPG Flame Calla Lily Wedding 1.JPG  (73 KB)
Flame Calla Lily Wedding 2.JPG Flame Calla Lily Wedding 2.JPG  (72 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 4:54 PM
View users profile

The cake is gorgeous, and the flavors sound delicious! The cascade of flowers is so striking. Well done.

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 5:02 PM
View users profile

That is just gorgeous!
Did your pumpkin pie cake shrink(compress) after it cooled? I made 2 layers a couple of weeks ago, even collared my pans so I could make sure I could use all the batter and get thick layers, but when I went to put the cake together (I had frozen those 2 layers), I decided they were too thin and baked a third layer. After they were stacked, they were still just barely over 5" tall. Just wondered if anyone else experienced that with the pumpkin cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 5:24 PM

Amazingly beautiful cake!! Your flowers are gorgeous....

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 5:31 PM
View users profile

I love these colors! What a stunning cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 6:29 PM
View users profile

Beautiful..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 2:28 PM

Awesome..very pretty!

Report Violation

Bottom

tlh
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 2:49 PM

Beautiful!

Report Violation

Bottom

heartsnsync
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 4:54 PM

Thank you for all your kind comments. I really wanted to nail the calla lilies as I have not been happy with how I had been making them. I finally decided to forget everything I saw online on how to make them, printed up a bunch of close up pictures of calla lilies and then tried to mimic them. Not only did I like the result better it was easier to do, so I was happy.

As for the pumpkin pie cake, I was having trouble with it shrinking, too so I kept playing around with the recipe. What worked was to add small amount of extra flour and a small smidgen more baking soda. Now the cake does not shrink. Give it a try in your recipe next time you make it and see if that helps you. Oh, and also, do not try to bake up a 2" layer but instead aim for about a 1 1/2. The 2" layer seems to never set properly in the middle for me. Then to level, let it settle for at least 8 hours after baking and then place in the freezer for a bit to firm up. A pumpkin pie cake is so moist that is the only way to level it successfully that I have found. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 7:10 PM
View users profile

The red flowers really compliment the orange ones. Beautiful cake! I bet they were thrilled.

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 7:34 PM

the roses, callas and cake are just beautiful! the flavors are making my mouth water.

Report Violation

Bottom

butterflyspin
Posted: Monday October 15, 2012 3:32 AM

Cake is one of the most important things for a wedding...... it must be delicious and good looking too. the idea of the yellow cake really amazed me a lot.. i shall definitely choose a different cake like this for my wedding.....

Report Violation

Bottom

Teresa0401
Posted: Monday October 15, 2012 7:27 AM

Gorgeous cake, your flowers are perfect, great job!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

jabrotz
Posted: Tuesday October 16, 2012 8:06 AM

So very pretty and fall-beautiful too. Perfect flowers!

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Saturday October 20, 2012 10:39 AM

Gorgeous work!

Report Violation

Bottom

hickchick
Posted: Wednesday January 16, 2013 10:06 AM

How did you get that great orange color? Every time I try to get an orange it comes out more like a salmon color?

Report Violation

Bottom

heartsnsync
Posted: Thursday January 17, 2013 1:36 AM

Hickchick, to get the deep orange color, I start with the gum paste in a buttery yellow and do not try to get orange at that point. I then used several petal dusts to get variations in the calla lily and to obtain the finished flame calla lily effect. The ones I used were deep autumn oranges, burnt orange, a orange red (for a bit of highlighting) and a shimmery gold. Using the yellow as the base allows for more variations in color and realistic effects to be achieved. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: