skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Pipe/Flange Success!
EllieLyn 10/13/2012 8:41 AM
Thanks, Cami, for teaching us the pipe/flange technique!

Delivered a huge (20/16/12/8) and exceedingly heavy wedding cake yesterday over 100 miles away with no problems! Lots of 'firsts' with this cake -- first fondant wedding cake, first pipe/flange assembly, first use of bubble straws, first time using SatinIce instead of MMF... can we say 'stress'??? The pipe/flange really helped ease the stress once it was loaded in my vehicle - we kept checking on it and it hadn't moved at all... whew! Awesome!!

Only major stress after delivery was when the caterer went to cut the cake and started cutting from the bottom layer... YIKES!!! I actually had to intervene (I was a guest at the wedding) when the cake was on the verge of collapse because she had started knocking out my supports in the bottom layer. (Fortunately all pics of the cake had already been taken!!)
cami5271 10/13/2012 4:20 PM
YAY! So happy the assembly worked for you! Not sure how the caterer was cutting the cake, but they can certainly start cutting at the bottom...but am not understanding how she was able to remove the supports if there was another cake sitting on top of it?

Did you post pics of the cake yet?
sweetgrandma 10/13/2012 5:36 PM
I have all the parts and I'm waiting on an order for a tiered cake so I can try it out. Congratulations on your success!
EllieLyn 10/13/2012 5:40 PM
Finally got the pic reduced in size enough to post it!
EllieLyn 10/13/2012 5:42 PM
Think I actually have it attached now.
Attachments:
ginnyl 10/13/2012 6:20 PM
Wow..that is magnificent..and congrats on all your firsts..
ginny
cami5271 10/13/2012 7:01 PM
Oh HOLY COW! That's beautiful! Congrats to you on a job VERY well done! It's stunning!
cakes06 10/13/2012 7:14 PM
Wow! That's one huge cake. It's beautiful!!
EllieLyn 10/13/2012 9:47 PM
Thanks, y'all!!
I have learned SO much from this forum. It's hard to teach this old buttercream dog new fondant tricks but I have gotten courage from your wisdom & advice. Assembling prior to travel was another new thing - I have always assembled on site before!

Here's a close-up view before the wedding -- you can see the 'bling' factor better. The draping and bling was a matching style to the bride's dress.

As for the cutting of the cake, the caterer was not doing the concentric circles & then cutting slices... she was trying to do skinny slices all the way to the middle of the cake (like you would slice a bundt cake or a smaller family cake)... and tipping my pillars to get them out of her way. Dinner was great - so she obviously had skill & experience in the dinner department! She was pleasant though, and glad that I stepped in. She even said 'oh, I get it now' when she watched me for a minute. I just helped her cut the rest of the cake... which went faster with the 2 of us for 300+ guests.

I was so glad to have assembled it all prior to leaving -- since it was an outdoor reception, there was no room/table/space that I could've used to help finish things up there. Pipe/Flange was a definite life-saver!

Oh, we also rigged up a cover to put over the cake prior to the wedding to keep it clean and bug-free. I'll post a pic of that too. We just assembled it from 1/2 inch PVC pipe & fittings and then actually used the netting from my daughters canopy that was over her bed when she was little. We set up the cake a couple of hours before the wedding, and then when we got to the reception site, we took down the cover. We were glad, as the flies were bad early in the afternoon.
Attachments:
ginnyl 10/14/2012 6:16 AM
Thanks for those great pictures. I love the way you did the draping of the fondant. Did you do that as individual pieces or one section at a time?
ginny
sweetgrandma 10/14/2012 7:11 AM
What an extraordinary and beautiful cake!! How did the fondant cut? The very rare times I've covered a cake with fondant it was hard to cut clean slices. Kind of a mess really!

Fondant isn't big in our area so I don't get to experiment with it much. Here everyone loves BC.
nanapona 10/14/2012 7:33 AM
This is a really lovely cake and I like your netting piece. I might borrow the idea
gmoakes01 10/14/2012 8:12 PM
Gorgeous cake (cute topper). Very clever cover.
EllieLyn 10/15/2012 6:17 AM
I wound up doing the fondant draping in several different pieces -- each piece typically having 3 pleats. I needed it to be pretty thinly rolled in order to pleat it, and more than 3 pleats would prove to be too heavy and it would break as I was pleating it. The key was just making sure that I tucked each side under so that it flowed and you couldn't tell where one stopped and the next one began.

It was definitely more difficult to cut than BC! Especially at the front of the cake where the draping was - it was just too thick to cut nicely. A serrated knife is a definite must when slicing a fondant cake! (Fortunately, it was pretty dark outside when people were getting their cake, so they weren't noticing the slicing job! LOL)
jabrotz 10/15/2012 6:46 AM
What a beautiful cake! I am so glad the pipe/flange worked out so well for you. I just got back a week or so ago from delivering a pipe/flange to Tenn. from NY (14 hrs!) and it worked so well! What a beautiful cake and such cute little bride/groom topper. GREAT job!
Teresa0401 10/15/2012 7:17 AM
Congrats on all the first, awsome cake, and I bet it was heavy!!!