skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cake Drum for 4 Tiered Cakes
Created On Sunday October 07, 2012 8:23 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

susychpstk
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 8:23 PM
View users profile

Hi all,

What do you use for a 4 tiered or taller stacked cake as your base? I've been just using 1/2" foil-covered cake drums, but with the last 4-tiered cake I delivered, I noticed those pesky little hairline cracks in my buttercream after having smoothed it perfectly, from the board flexing as I moved it.

I think masonite is strong enough to go with, but hate to have to deal with trying to get it returned to me and the whole security deposit thing. Is foam core the way to go do you think, and what size....1/2 " as well for even 4-tiered cakes? Are "English Style Cake Drums" a better quality, and less apt to flex or give when moving your stacked cake?

Thanks everyone!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 9:02 PM

I use quarter inch plywood and it seems to hold it steady. You could also use half inch but that adds a little more weight. I'm going to start using the pipe and flange system so I'll be using an even thicker board.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 9:13 PM
View users profile

SGM....do you ask for the plywood back? How do you cut the rounds? Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 6:59 AM

I put my name and address and a note to return the board but I dont sweat it if I don't. My dh cuts them out of scraps and so they don't cost much. Most of the time I do get them back.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 7:02 AM

and to cut them I give dh a cardboard circle of the size I want and he uses it as a guide.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 7:11 AM

I use masonite boards,I order them online bcoz Lowe's or home depot do not cut the rounds.I just adjust the price in the total cost of cake.I don't ask the boards back. I know it is kind of expensive,but I don't think I would ever get those back anyway.I do buy my squares at these stores though,they can cut it into whatever size I need.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 7:26 AM
View users profile

Thanks SGM and Preeti. Are you using them for cakes four or more tiers tall, or for all stacked cakes?

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 7:38 AM

I use them for 3 tiers and up,regardless what size the tiers are. I have dealt too much with those cracks and I know for sure that a flimsy or not strong enough board is the culprit.
If I am doing a 2 tier,I put 3 or 4 cake circles together and then cover them in foil and that works fine.If the board shape doesn't matter for tiered cakes I use the square ones as I can get them from Home depot and they are cheaper than masonite boards.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 10:01 PM
View users profile

I would use a piece of plywood covered with florist foil.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 10:08 PM

I've mostly been using them for my heavier cakes. If the bottom tier is 16 inches and it's only a three tier I use them because of the weight. In the future I'm going to use them for all 3 tier and larger because the last 4 tier I made (14, 12. 10 and 8) my dh said he felt the cake drum give and I did end up with a crinkled side of one of the tiers.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:51 PM

Oops! DH just said he now uses 1/2" or 3/4th" only. He stopped using 1/4" b/c he didn't feel they were as sturdy.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Thursday October 11, 2012 8:45 PM
View users profile

Oh great, SGM, thanks for clarifying and thanks for the advice too, Dana! I also just noticed that Global Sugar Art is selling foam core boards and they're really not much more expensive as your typical foil cake drum. Of course, you'd have to purchase the foil too, but I thought they'd be more expensive all pre-cut and all. I called and they recommend them for large tiered cakes and said that they're very sturdy!

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 6:47 AM
View users profile

I recently heard about a company called Caseland Tuffboard cakeboards. I haven't used any but they say they are good. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 8:17 AM
View users profile

Thanks trecur....I just looked them up, but all their edges are scalloped....they look neat though! Thanks for the info!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: